1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Florida Institute of Technology

1. Aug 27, 2005 #1
    In my college search I've noticed that I've picked ideal reaches and not many good matches or safeties. My GPA is 3.0-unweighted (going up), my rank is currently in the top 15%. I haven't yet taken the SAT but feel confident that I can do better than the average score at the Florida Institute of Technology based on PSAT scores and recent practice and studying. I'm a Florida resident and am curious if I could consider this a safety/ good match (they accept 83% of applicants). Can anyone tell me anything about this school, such as how difficult it is to get into?
    P.S. I will probably be closer to their average 3.55 GPA when I graduate, and after reading an article about how colleges reweight GPAs before reporting them, I should mention that my schedules contained mostly honors classes and one AP class (more APs next year along with Dual Enrollment classes next semester), and that my lowest grades were in Freshman year especially in a course which was technically labeled an elective. Also, although it may be subjective, could anyone tell me how good this school is?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2005 #2
    Do they care more about weighted on unweighted GPA? I mean it is not same to have A in AP English and A in regular English class.

4. Aug 27, 2005 #3
    I've always been a little confused about that. It is said that they prefer to see good grades in more advanced classes however weighted GPA is not used because of the different weighting techniques form one school to another. In general they look at the unweighted GPA, and reweight it based on your transcript, according to their own formula.

5. Aug 27, 2005 #4
    I’m a Florida Tech student who works closely with Undergrad Admissions. From what I’ve gathered, the two most important criteria are: whether Florida Tech is a good fit for you, and whether you will excel here. You are correct in determining that it is not a hard school to get into; from what you’ve posted, I’m confident you’ll be accepted. However, it is difficult to stay, meaning classes are tough and it’s a bit pricy. Florida Tech isn’t for everyone. Many students thrive, but others realize (especially after freshman year) that college wasn’t meant for them, or another major would be better.

All and all, Florida Tech is a great school (well known in science and engineering fields, although generally not widely known because of its small size and youth). You should talk to an Admissions counselor if you’re interested, and take a campus tour. You might have me as a tour guide. =)

Good luck to you,
    Laura

P.S. feel free to email me with further questions – lseward@fit.edu .

6. Aug 27, 2005 #5
    Thank you, I'm glad to have an informed resonse. I'll look into going on a campus tour sometime soon. :smile:

7. Aug 27, 2005 #6
    I am a Florida Tech student. Just completed week one. mewhoexactlywhat, all I can tell you is that as a Florida student it would probably be better for you, I am an international student and although FIT was good enough to grant me a scholarship I am not sure what will happen to me because the tuition price here is too high if you ask me. I'm in ECE and well engineering is the best school here (aviation is good too). The school is small and although the courses are challenging and everything the reason why the school will stay small is because of the surrounding town, Melbourne.

Laura1013 mentioned that students discover that college is not for them... I know what my capabilities are that's why I enrolled, but money makes the world go round; and there is not much that I can do about that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  8. Aug 27, 2005 #7
    Exequor- Florida Tech, being a private school, does not have an in-state tuition price break. I've been accepted for next fall into the ocean engineering program, and as far as I can find out, everyone has to pay the full $25,150 for engineering and science majors or $22,920 for other majors. I understand that there is a very good scholarship/loan/work study program which I hope to be able to make good use of, as apparently you have.
    That said...What do you find so unappealing about Melbourne? I have not spent much time there, so I'd be interested to hear.

9. Aug 28, 2005 #8
    I was accepted a month ago.

I am an international undergraduate, I was sent an email before my letter came telling me I was accepted with a $10,000/year scholarship. Here are my grades for comparison:

10 GCSE passes (2 A's in Math and Physics, the rest Bs and Cs)
    A 3 in AP Physics B (B for the course)
    Around a 3.5 unweighted GPA
    1940 on the new SAT (680 math)
    660 Math Ic SAT2
    650 Physics SAT2

They practically begged me to come to FIT, and of course I will because I visited the campus (and a professor) and loved it. I will be studying Computer Science in 2006.

Be prepared to spend money though, as with any good private institution.

10. Aug 28, 2005 #9
    As far as tuition goes I think I would apply for finiancial aid and would like to work on campus, and also Florida has a "Bright Futures" scholarship that grants around up to $10,000 per year if you qualify.

11. Aug 28, 2005 #10
    Does FIT have aerospace engineering? If so, how does it differ from the above discussion in terms of entrance grades etc...?

12. Aug 28, 2005 #11
    Well Melbourne is fine with me because I couldn't care less about what the surrounding town offers. Atleast Melbourne offers everything that you would need like all the big name stores.

Aresius you are lucky because I got 10 passes, all A's, and I even did A'level, A in math, B in physics, B in geography, and I had a 3.6 GPA from my old school. I don't know if my SAT score had anything to do with it cuz I only got half of what you got. I should have never done that SAT exam cuz I was past that level and i just went and take the exam with no practice (i guess that doesn't work).

mewhoexactlywhat, you have nothing to worry about, you are an instate student so there are alot of options available for you. It is a good institution, no doubt about that.

13. Aug 28, 2005 #12
    Yes indeed exequor, the SAT made a huge difference.

However they did tell me that I had a $4000 scholarship before they looked at my SATs and SAT2s, then raised it to 10,000 when my SATs came to them. My acceptance was based on GCSE and high school grades (which were in fact very good, especially in the math area).

I also had some very very good letters of recommendation.

Though, since you are in-state, you will have some nice benefits particularly bright futures. I'm not a resident yet so I can't take advantage of it.

Good luck to you, I am sure you'll get in with your record.

14. Aug 28, 2005 #13
    Rocketboy..they do indeed have aerospace engineering. Take a look at http://www.fit.edu/AcadRes/engsci/mechanic/ . I don't believe the admission requirements are any different. The proximity of Kennedy Space Center has to be a big plus though.
    Cheers

15. Aug 28, 2005 #14
    There is no such thing as in-state tuition for Florida Tech, but yes, there are great Florida resident opportunities such as Bright Futures (I don’t know much about them; I’m from out-of-state).

The Melbourne area is small but active and has a lot to offer (beyond the obvious beach culture). Cocoa Beach is about half an hour away, Orlando is an hour or so away, and Kennedy Space Center is less than an hour. Other major Florida cities aren’t far.

We do offer Aerospace Engineering; it’s one of the most popular engineering majors here. They’re most known for building planes and rockets and working closely with the Cape. All science and engineering departments are roughly equal in terms of difficulty getting accepted; liberal arts and business are a bit easier.

16. Aug 28, 2005 #15
    what are you going to study?

if physics or engineering, i'd suggest you check out the university of florida, as well.

(ESPECIALLY if physics...)

17. Aug 28, 2005 #16
    Aerospace is very popular and most students would tell you that they like it here because of Kennedy space center. I myself chose the area because central florida is one of the top five areas in the US with technology related jobs. Harris corp, bellsouth, etc. are located here in Melbourne.

To be honest with you mewhoexa.. if I was an instate student I would have gone to UF or UCF :smile: but since with a the out-of-state tuition and the tuition at FIT (w/ scholarship) is about the same I came to FIT... yea I got admitted to UM, UCF, FIU, etc. but I chose FIT.

BillBlack- melbourne is OK, it is just that most students complain about it being boring, hence the name "Melboring". That is just the opinion of the students that want a social life, after all Melbourne is 75% people over 60 (retirees).

18. Aug 28, 2005 #17
    I'm planning to major in physics, so I'll look into the University of Florida. Thank you. How does UF's physics program compare to FIT's?

19. Aug 28, 2005 #18
    Brad Barker on this forum can probably better answer that question than I can. I just started at the University of Florida enrolled as a freshman, but the physics department is large and well-organized. http://www.phys.ufl.edu I haven't been able to take any physics classes yet though, still going through prerequisites and gen-eds. I'm not sure how it stacks up against FIT's program however.

If you have any other questions about UF, you can PM me, though I've only been here for a few days and the semester just began, so my advice might be a little slim until I get to know the area and the processes a little better.

Good luck in your decision.

20. Aug 28, 2005 #19
    I’m an Astrophysics senior at Florida Tech, and so I’m a bit more knowledgeable on the astronomy part of things, I can answer questions about the physics program (it’s all part of the Physics and Space Sciences Department).

Our university is small, but our department is one of the largest in the country. In January we opened up the new Physical Sciences building which holds all new labs and facilities. By late spring or early summer we’ll have installed the largest telescope in the state of Florida.

The cool thing about all the departments at Florida Tech is that freshman start out taking core classes as well as classes in their field. For example, a freshman Physics major will start out taking basic English and math, but also take Physics 1 and Physics 1 lab (and Physics 2 and lab, perhaps even Modern Physics freshman year if you’re math is good enough), Introduction to Astronomy, and Physics & Space Sciences Seminar. You’ll know right away whether your major is right for you, and if it isn’t, you can switch without being behind.

You can learn more at http://cos.fit.edu/pss .

I don’t know much about UF’s program, but I’ve heard it’s good as well.

21. Aug 28, 2005 #20
    Yea the physical sciences building is cool, I like the physics lab strong use of computers (although they are running mac os8). Physics majors take physics lab in year 1 and engineering majors taking it in semester 2 or 3 (not sure). I have it now because I'm a sort of international transfer and I got physics I and II but not the lab, so I'm taking it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?