Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flourecent lights question

1. Jul 20, 2007 #1
    sorry if this is the wrong section...i really don't know where to put it. well the other night i was trying to fall asleep in my room, and it was completely dark, or close to it. and i saw this wierd glow, so i grabbed out, and pulled my flouescent lightbulb near me. I would touch it and it would glow, like very, very faintly, but it lit up whenever i touched it. Is this possible? or was it just my brain or something? is it possible that the energy from my figertips was enough to light it up?
    thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

It sure does happen; thanks to static electricity. It has to do with the gas in fluorescent bulbs because they are easily excited by electricity.

4. Jul 20, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Fluorescent lamps work by having a phosphor coating that converts the original UV light produced by the plasma to a visible range. Those phosphors also react to other energy input such as static electricity or even cosmic rays. Try looking at your turned-off TV in the dark, and you'll likely see the screen glowing very faintly.
    A neat thing to try is to take a piece of plastic such as a sandwich bag and rub a fluorescent tube with it. You can get a pretty decent amount of light.

5. Jul 20, 2007 #4
    huh, i never knew that, thats cool. thanks for the quick replies

6. Jul 20, 2007 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The phosphor also has a persistency in emitting the visible light. You can see the tube glowing for a time after turning of the power.

7. Jul 21, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Good point, Digoff. I never thought of it before, but I wonder if it might be a matter of the output of one phosphor inciting a neighbour to re-emit. There could be a cascade effect.

8. Jul 21, 2007 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's what an old Modern Physics text by Robert L. Sproull says about the subject:

He later explains how excited electrons can get trapped ("...shallow wells adjacent to the luminesecent center...") until they can get enough energy to surmount the energy barrier. This trapping/storage of energy is what is responsible for the persistence of light emitted by phosphors.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  9. Jul 22, 2007 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Cool. Thanks.

10. Aug 27, 2007 #9
    o.0 nice...now i understand

11. Sep 5, 2007 #10
    sounds like a good basis for low energy lazer....could be workable...??
    just a thought.
    j (compentium0)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?