Flow & Viscosity: Estimate Max Temp of Crude Oil for 4Kg/s Flow

In summary, at a required maximum temperature of 16 degrees Celsius, crude oil must flow at a rate of 0.066 meters per second through a 0.3 meter diameter pipe.
cjm181

Homework Statement

[/B]
For many liquids the viscosity is strongly dependent on temperature. Use the table below to estimate the required maximum temperature of crude oil to flow at a rate of 4Kg s-1 through a 0.3 metre diameter pipe whilst maintaining a laminar flow.

In the table it has in the rows.

temp 0 20 50 100 200
Viscosity 16 7.5 4 2.5 1.5Crude Oil (sg = 0.885)
Viscosity (x10-3 Nsm-2)https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/mechanical-flow-rate.863262/#post-5418137

Homework Equations

A=PIr^2

V=m/(PA)

Viscosity=(Pvd)/Re

The Attempt at a Solution

Area of pipe = PIr^2=PI*0.15^2=0.07069m^2

V=m/(pA)
V=4/(855*0.07069)
V=0.066m/s

So for the pipe of diameter 0.3m, to achieve 4kg/s we need a fluid velocity of 0.066m/s. (sounds really slow?)

Then
Reynolds # = (density)(velocity)(pipe diameter) / (viscosity)

Viscosity=(density)(velocity)(pipe diameter) / (reynolds)

so if the flow is to be laminar, set reynolds no to 1999

Viscosity=(855)(0.066)(0.3) / (1999)

Viscosity=0.00849 or 8.49x10^-3Nsm

so max temp would be around 16deg C. Can anyone confirm?

Kr
Craig

Physics news on Phys.org
Confirmed. Btw, you don't need to know the specific gravity to solve this.

Thanks Ches

Can you show me how to do it without SG?

Kr
Craig

$$Re=\frac{\rho vD}{\mu}=\rho v \left(\frac{\pi D^2}{4}\right)\frac{4}{\pi D\mu}=\frac{4\dot{m}}{\pi D\mu}$$

hi, I'm a new member, I was just hoping someone could explain why 855 has been used in some equations and why it isn't 0.855. Thanks

DC83 said:
hi, I'm a new member, I was just hoping someone could explain why 855 has been used in some equations and why it isn't 0.855. Thanks
HI DC83. Welcome to Physics Forums.

0.855 is the specific gravity, which is the density relative to water. The density of water is 1000 kg/m^3. So the density of the oil is 855 kg/m^3.

Likes DC83
Hi
cjm181 said:
so max temp would be around 16deg C
I'm just wondering from the post 1 said
Where do we get that Temperature from ? Is that came from the table or something ? as I have not got a clue.

jaff90110 said:
Hi

I'm just wondering from the post 1 said
Where do we get that Temperature from ? Is that came from the table or something ? as I have not got a clue.
Can you please explain your question more precisely?

I'm sorry , that was my mistake,
From the post # 1 that said the max temperature is around 16 degree C.
I'm wondering that where did cjm181 get that temperature from?

jaff90110 said:
I'm sorry , that was my mistake,
From the post # 1 that said the max temperature is around 16 degree C.
I'm wondering that where did cjm181 get that temperature from?
He calculated the Reynolds number at the different temperatures based on the viscosities in the table, and then interpolated to find the temperature at which the Reynolds number exceeds 2100. Use semi-log paper to plot the viscosity as a function of temperature. Please show your graph.

What is flow and viscosity?

Flow and viscosity are physical properties of fluids that describe how easily they move and resist deformation, respectively. Flow refers to the ability of a fluid to flow or move, while viscosity refers to the resistance of a fluid to flow.

How is flow rate measured?

Flow rate is typically measured in units of volume per unit time, such as liters per second or cubic meters per hour. This is the amount of fluid that passes through a given point in a specified amount of time.

What factors affect the flow and viscosity of crude oil?

The flow and viscosity of crude oil can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, composition, and impurities. As temperature increases, the viscosity of crude oil decreases, making it easier to flow. Pressure also plays a role, as higher pressures can increase viscosity. The composition of the crude oil, such as the ratio of different hydrocarbons, can also impact its flow and viscosity. Additionally, impurities or contaminants in the crude oil can affect its flow and viscosity.

How can the maximum temperature of crude oil be estimated for a given flow rate?

The maximum temperature of crude oil for a given flow rate can be estimated by using the oil's viscosity-temperature relationship. This relationship, also known as the viscosity index, describes how the viscosity of crude oil changes with temperature. By knowing the flow rate and the viscosity index of the oil, the maximum temperature at which it can flow at that flow rate can be estimated.

Why is it important to estimate the maximum temperature of crude oil for a given flow rate?

It is important to estimate the maximum temperature of crude oil for a given flow rate because it allows for the safe and efficient transportation and processing of crude oil. If the temperature exceeds the maximum temperature, the viscosity of the oil may increase to a point where it becomes difficult to flow, leading to potential issues such as clogging or equipment failure. By estimating the maximum temperature, appropriate measures can be taken to maintain the desired flow rate and prevent potential problems.