1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow around a cylinder and vortices

1. Feb 14, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone, I am quite struggling with a question that I received on a problem sheet. I have looked information regarding to this but I still have a hard time visualizing this and sketching it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the question I am asked to describe using a sketch how flow separation from the cylinder may be simulated by the addition of isolated vortices and explain how vortices can be used to complete the flow. In a separate point it asks again on a sketch to show how the separation points affect the drag component of force.

2. Relevant equations

Unfortunately I unsure as how to proceed in this situation.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at a solution revolved around using the Method if images but so far I have not been able to reach a solution.

Any assistance or indication to the relevant literature to this exercise would be much appreciated. I am new to this site and still familiarizing myself with the rules and FAQ, if I have broken any of them I apologize.

Thank you for your help on this matter.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted