1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow battery

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1
    Do a google on " flow battery "
    this woman from Austrailia did some recent work with them ,really interesting stuff..
    in Japan they use them to supply Grid Power from a windfarm ..

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2
    Good point Willib! what exactly is a flow battery?
    Willib replies : a flow battery is an electrochemical device that uses vandium ions to tranfer charge held in solution to terminals in an ion exchange unit.
    willib tell me more: :smile:
    willib replies :Well a flow battery is a technology used today in japan and canada , to supply power to the grid during peak demand.
    How does it do that? :eek:
    willib replies:They use power collected from a wind farm , and store it for when the demand is high.
    How EXACTLY does it do THAT.????:mad:
    No its true ,a flow battery uses Vandium(5) ions in an ion exchange unit
    You gotta be kidding me!! but that doesnt explain how it works?? :mad: :mad:
    Well , for one thing flow batteries can be stacked in parallel to produce more voltage , and can be charged and discharged simultainously, and at different voltages.
    That sounds too good to be true?:!!)
    No its true , and flow batteries can be used in truck fleets and "refuled " in a less time and less risk than a Hydrogen system.
    I wuv you :!!) :!!) :!!)

:rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook