1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow in branching pipe

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    what does the author mean by if P is below the surface of B then h2 and Q2 are both 0 ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    at the last second line from the bottom , the author gave if P is below the surface of B then water must be out of B and Q1 +Q2 = Q3 ? both statement are contrary to each other

Attached Files:

• 09.jpg
      09.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

h2 might be a typo for d2?
    It might help if you would define Li and di. Qi is volume flow rate, I gather.

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3
    which h2 is typo for d2 ?

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In your post, you quoted a line from the second attachment referencing h2. There is no other h2 in either attachment. I am suggesting the h2 in the attachment might be a typo for d2.

6. Mar 11, 2016 #5
    what does h2 mean actually ? why it will = 0 ?

7. Mar 11, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know, but I might be able to figure it out if you answer the questions I posed in post #2.

8. Mar 20, 2016 #7
    refrerring to the notes in post 1 , the author said that when P is above the surface of the resevoir B , then water must flow into B and Q1= Q2 + Q3 , why cant the the water from A and B flow to C ?, which is Q1 +Q2 = Q3 ?

9. Mar 21, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Imagine closing off the point where the three pipes meet for the moment, so nothing is flowing. The pressure on the A side of that point will exceed the pressure on the B side. So when the joint is opened to allow flow, the A side will win.
    This all assumes no drag in the pipes. In the real world, some drag and a narrow pipe on the A side could mean that when water flows there is a large drop in pressure from the A reservoir to the junction, allowing water to enter the junction from B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted