Why is water unable to flow from A and B to C in a branching pipe system?

• Thread starter foo9008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Pipe
In summary: Imagine closing off the point where the three pipes meet for the moment, so nothing is flowing. The pressure on the A side of that point will exceed the pressure on the B side. So when the joint is opened to allow flow, the A side will win.This all assumes no drag in the pipes. In the real world, some drag and a narrow pipe on the A side could mean that when water flows there is a large drop in pressure from the A reservoir to the junction, allowing water to enter the junction from B.
foo9008

Homework Statement

what does the author mean by if P is below the surface of B then h2 and Q2 are both 0 ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

at the last second line from the bottom , the author gave if P is below the surface of B then water must be out of B and Q1 +Q2 = Q3 ? both statement are contrary to each other

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
h2 might be a typo for d2?
It might help if you would define Li and di. Qi is volume flow rate, I gather.

haruspex said:
h2 might be a typo for d2?
It might help if you would define Li and di. Qi is volume flow rate, I gather.
which h2 is typo for d2 ?

foo9008 said:
which h2 is typo for d2 ?
In your post, you quoted a line from the second attachment referencing h2. There is no other h2 in either attachment. I am suggesting the h2 in the attachment might be a typo for d2.

haruspex said:
In your post, you quoted a line from the second attachment referencing h2. There is no other h2 in either attachment. I am suggesting the h2 in the attachment might be a typo for d2.
what does h2 mean actually ? why it will = 0 ?

foo9008 said:
what does h2 mean actually ? why it will = 0 ?
I don't know, but I might be able to figure it out if you answer the questions I posed in post #2.

refrerring to the notes in post 1 , the author said that when P is above the surface of the resevoir B , then water must flow into B and Q1= Q2 + Q3 , why can't the the water from A and B flow to C ?, which is Q1 +Q2 = Q3 ?

foo9008 said:
refrerring to the notes in post 1 , the author said that when P is above the surface of the resevoir B , then water must flow into B and Q1= Q2 + Q3 , why can't the the water from A and B flow to C ?, which is Q1 +Q2 = Q3 ?
Imagine closing off the point where the three pipes meet for the moment, so nothing is flowing. The pressure on the A side of that point will exceed the pressure on the B side. So when the joint is opened to allow flow, the A side will win.
This all assumes no drag in the pipes. In the real world, some drag and a narrow pipe on the A side could mean that when water flows there is a large drop in pressure from the A reservoir to the junction, allowing water to enter the junction from B.

1. What is flow in branching pipe?

Flow in branching pipe is the movement of fluid through a pipe system that branches off into multiple paths. This can occur in various systems, such as plumbing or irrigation, where the flow of water is divided into different directions.

2. How does flow in branching pipe affect pressure?

Flow in branching pipe can affect pressure by causing it to decrease as the fluid moves through the system and branches off into different paths. This decrease in pressure is due to the increase in fluid velocity as it moves through smaller pipes.

3. What factors influence flow in branching pipe?

The flow in branching pipe can be influenced by several factors, including the diameter and length of the pipes, the fluid viscosity, and the overall flow rate. Additionally, the number and angle of branching pipes can also impact the flow.

4. How is flow in branching pipe calculated?

Flow in branching pipe can be calculated using various equations, such as the continuity equation or the Bernoulli's equation. These equations take into account the fluid properties, pipe dimensions, and flow conditions to determine the flow rate in each branch of the pipe system.

5. What are the applications of understanding flow in branching pipe?

Understanding flow in branching pipe is essential in many industrial and engineering applications. It can be used to design more efficient pipe systems, optimize flow rates, and predict pressure drops in the system. It is also crucial in the fields of fluid mechanics and hydraulic engineering.