Can a Circular Flow of Water with Turbines Generate Sustainable Energy?

In summary, the conversation is about a project involving a machine with hand cranked turbines and a tube that goes in a full circle. The purpose of the machine is to generate energy, but there are concerns about perpetual motion and energy loss due to turbulence. The machines seem to be propellers rather than turbines, and the direction of water flow will depend on the blade settings. The person is interested in renewable energy and has a 3D printer to help with their project.
Designer_Wolf
I'm doing a little project of mine and am currently trying to figure out if my machine(being built) would work how i want it to work.
So i have a tube that goes in a full circle, this tube has 2 hand cranked turbines that give the water its initial motion to go round and round. Theres little turbines in the spaces between that would only spin through the motion of the water(being spun round and round by the hand cranked turbines)... So after all that confusion, would the turbines cancel each other out or keep spinning in one direction?

Attachments

• received_1530308796994065.png
    received_1530308796994065.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 537
Physics news on Phys.org
Do both hand cranked turbines pump the water in the same direction (eg both clockwise around the tube)? If so then the water will keep rotating as long as you keep turning the crank.

The little turbines in the spaces between will turn as long as the water is moving through them. How fast they turn will depend on their design and the load connected to them.

What's the purpose of this machine?

Designer_Wolf said:
I'm doing a little project of mine and am currently trying to figure out if my machine(being built) would work how i want it to work.
So i have a tube that goes in a full circle, this tube has 2 hand cranked turbines that give the water its initial motion to go round and round. Theres little turbines in the spaces between that would only spin through the motion of the water(being spun round and round by the hand cranked turbines)... So after all that confusion, would the turbines cancel each other out or keep spinning in one direction?
I suspect you may be suggesting that, once the motion has started, it would go on for ever.
Firstly, this is "Perpetual Motion" and we do not permit discussion about this topic on PF. Secondly, the nature of water flow round turbines involves a lot of turbulence. This would lose energy a lot faster than just emptying the water out, turn the handle and then watch it all slow down.

If you are only interested in the 'sense' of motion of the turbines and the resulting water flow (and turbulence) then are you asking the difference between your machine and two propellors in tandem in a straight tube?

But the context is interesting(?)

Designer_Wolf said:
So i have a tube that goes in a full circle, this tube has 2 hand cranked turbines that give the water its initial motion to go round and round.
Then these 2 are propellers, not turbines.

Designer_Wolf said:
Theres little turbines in the spaces between that would only spin through the motion of the water(being spun round and round by the hand cranked turbines)... So after all that confusion, would the turbines cancel each other out or keep spinning in one direction?
If you keep cranking, they will keep spinning. The direction will depend on how you set the blades.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
I suspect you may be suggesting that, once the motion has started, it would go on for ever.
Firstly, this is "Perpetual Motion" and we do not permit discussion about this topic on PF. Secondly, the nature of water flow round turbines involves a lot of turbulence. This would lose energy a lot faster than just emptying the water out, turn the handle and then watch it all slow down.

If you are only interested in the 'sense' of motion of the turbines and the resulting water flow (and turbulence) then are you asking the difference between your machine and two propellors in tandem in a straight tube?

But the context is interesting(?)

I'm aware of perpetual motion, i also know that there's no such thing as free energy. Something can't come from nothing, i was more interested to see if the waterflow would remain in the same direction. Thanks for the answer tho, gives me a little more insight into my problem :)

CWatters said:
Do both hand cranked turbines pump the water in the same direction (eg both clockwise around the tube)? If so then the water will keep rotating as long as you keep turning the crank.The little turbines in the spaces between will turn as long as the water is moving through them. How fast they turn will depend on their design and the load connected to them.

What's the purpose of this machine?

Its just another form of generating energy. Ofcourse its highly unlikely that i could develop a machine that charges a battery efficiently and fast, but i always found renewable energy amazing. Plus i just got a 3D printer to start printing some of my ideas. My whole idea of this "thing" is just hard to explain. But thanks for your help, atleast i know have an extra insight on waterflow :)

Designer_Wolf said:
I'm aware of perpetual motion, i also know that there's no such thing as free energy. Something can't come from nothing, i was more interested to see if the waterflow would remain in the same direction.
OK fine, I just wondered. :smile:

But what's the point in using a turbine system in that way when you could get higher efficiency by turning the alternator directly?

Designer_Wolf said:
Its just another form of generating energy. Ofcourse its highly unlikely that i could develop a machine that charges a battery efficiently and fast, but i always found renewable energy amazing. Plus i just got a 3D printer to start printing some of my ideas. My whole idea of this "thing" is just hard to explain. But thanks for your help, atleast i know have an extra insight on waterflow :)
It would be more efficient to just connect the hand crank direct to the generator.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...
Designer_Wolf said:
I'm aware of perpetual motion, i also know that there's no such thing as free energy. Something can't come from nothing, i was more interested to see if the waterflow would remain in the same direction. Thanks for the answer tho, gives me a little more insight into my problem :)
Designer_Wolf said:
Its just another form of generating energy.
@Designer_Wolf -- Please send me a PM with more information explaining exactly what you are trying to do. Thank you.

EDIT -- Just to clarify, to send somebody a Private Message (PM), click on their avatar or username, and then click on Start a Conversation. :smile:

Last edited:

1. How does a turbine generate electricity using water flow?

A turbine uses the force of moving water to spin its blades, which in turn rotates a shaft connected to a generator. The spinning motion of the shaft inside the generator produces electricity.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a turbine in generating electricity from water flow?

The efficiency of a turbine is affected by several factors such as the design of the turbine, the quality and speed of the water flow, and the altitude and location of the turbine. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper installation also play a role in the efficiency of a turbine.

3. Can a turbine be used in both fast-moving and slow-moving water?

Yes, turbines can be designed to work in various water flow speeds. There are different types of turbines such as Pelton, Francis, and Kaplan turbines that are suitable for different water flow speeds and conditions.

4. What are the advantages of using turbines for electricity generation compared to other methods?

Turbines have several advantages, including being a renewable energy source, having low operating costs, and producing minimal emissions. Additionally, turbines can be used in various water sources, making them a versatile option for electricity generation.

5. How does the flow rate of water affect the power output of a turbine?

The power output of a turbine is directly proportional to the flow rate of water. This means that as the flow rate increases, the power output also increases. However, there is an optimal flow rate for each type of turbine, and exceeding this rate may result in decreased efficiency or damage to the turbine.