1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow over spillway

1. Jan 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When the level of water in a reservoir is too high, the water spills out over a spillway,
    as illustrated in the figure below

jxI5TK0.jpg

Neglecting viscosity, show that the water flow ##Q## over the spillway is given by
    $$Q=\frac{2}{3}w\sqrt{2gy^3}$$

2. Relevant equations

Bernoulli's Equation: ##P_1+\rho gh_1+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2=P_2+\rho gh_2+\frac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2##
    Torricelli's Equation: ##v=\sqrt{2gh}##

3. The attempt at a solution

##Q=Av=(wy)(\sqrt{2gy})=w\sqrt{2gy^3}##

I am not sure how to get ##\frac{2}{3}## in this equation as indicated by the answer. I feel that I am oversimplifying this by assuming the height in Torricelli's equation is just ##y## when it should account for flow over an area as opposed to a point. Would this mean the height is ##\frac{y}{2}## to get the average velocity of the fluid?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. The consequence for the total flow varies as the height above the spillway increases from0 to y.
    No, that's still too simplistic. Consider a thin horizontal slice from x to x+dx above the spillway. What is the flow due to that?

4. Jan 17, 2017 #3
    Oh, that makes sense.

##Q=Av=(wy)\int_0^y (\sqrt{2gy})=(wy\sqrt{2g})\int_0^y \sqrt{y}=(wy\sqrt{2g})(\frac{\sqrt{y^3}}{\frac{3}{2}})=\frac{2}{3}w\sqrt{2gy^3}##

Thank you!

5. Jan 17, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted