1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow rate and diffy Q's

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I just need to get these eqn's together to form a DE

2. Relevant equations

Q = CA*sqrt(2gH) = -dV/dt

and

V = pi/3 * H^2 * (3*r - H)

These eqn's refer to a sphere which has a flow Q of fluid out the bottom of said sphere. The radius of the sphere is r, the height H is from the bottom of the sphere (where the hole is) to the top of the liquid. Also, C is a constant and A is just the area pi*r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I need to get a differential eqn in terms of H but I've exhausted, from what I can see, any algebraic manipulation. The final story to be told will use Heun's method to determine how long it takes to drain the liquid out of the sphere (I fully understand the method, it is just this preliminary step which I am confused about)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    The cross-sectional area multiplied by the height from the hole at the bottom to the water level at the top is the volume of water contained within the sphere at any given time, is it not?

[tex]A_{cross}=\frac{V(H)}{H(t)}[/tex] - (assuming of course V is a function of H, & H is a function of t.)

see if that helps you at all

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    yes, that looks great. I didn't even consider this and as such, it is a reminder to KIS!!!!! thanks

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4
    ah, but actually in order to use Heun's method, I'll need to evaluate a "preliminary" V which means I'll really need to use a preliminary H in the equation involving V(H) (i.e. solving a cubic polynomial, which does not fly because I have to code this problem into matlab shortly...), so I guess I'm stuck again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook