Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow rate calculation

1. Jun 18, 2016 #1
    hello!
    i was provided by the radii from 0 to 5 cm and a parabolic profile is also given .. in numeric form i was asked to calculate the flow rate how to understand it to solve further kindly help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2016 #2
    Please provide more detail about the locations where the velocity is provided, and the velocity values.

4. Jun 21, 2016 #3
    Thank you for kind response sir ,
    it was a question in exam ... like
    r=0,1,2,3,4,5
    v=2,1.92,1.68,1.28,0.72,0
    numerical values may be some digits different but i need to understand a problem .
    now if diameter is 10cm then calculate the flow rate ?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  5. Jun 21, 2016 #4
    You said that the profile is parabolic. Do you know how to determine the equation for the parabola that satisfies this data? If you knew the equation for the parabola of v vs r, would you know how to determine the volumertic flow rate?

6. Jun 21, 2016 #5
    Vz\Vm=2(1-r^2/R^2)
    this is the relation
    Q=A*v
    but how to initiate ?
    should i specified the boundary condition then integerate or can do some numerical analysis to evaluate integeral or find out the mean value of velocity then proceed ...

7. Jun 21, 2016 #6
    i assumed it is parabolic as laminar has parabolic profile ..flow was laminar

8. Jun 21, 2016 #7
    No.
    $$Q=\int_0^R{v_z(2\pi r)dr}$$
    Does this make sense?

9. Jun 21, 2016 #8
    thank you for reply sir,
    yes i got it, it is the total flow rate through duct .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted