Calculating Flow Rate in Syringe

In summary, if you know the Pressure given by a known Force on the barrel side of the syringe, the Density of the fluid, the Cross Section Area of the two parts of the syringe, the length of the syringe barrel and a ball with known Mass being pushed by the fluid flowing out of the syringe, you can calculate the gain in kinetic energy of the ball after the syringe is pushed to limit by the constant force.
Rizer
Hi all,

If I only know the Pressure given by a known Force on the barrel side of the syringe, the Density of the fluid, the Cross Section Area of the two parts of the syringe, the length of the syringe barrel and a ball with known Mass being pushed by the fluid flowing out of the syringe. How to know if the flow is steady or not? And how to calculate the gain in kinetic energy of the ball after the syringe is pushed to limit by the constant force?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
If the Force applied to the barrel is constant, can you think of a reason that the flow wouldn't be?

If you do not know the viscosity of this fluid, you can't include its "friction",
so you can use Energy Conservation (even though it's unrealistic).
The original Pressure Potential Energy "PV" becomes KE of fluid and ball (plus the effect of grav.PE change, if there is any)

Thank you, I just thought if the pressure is too large, the difference in pressure may lead to acceleration of fluid, there must be acceleration when the fluid start to flow. Can you teach me if there is any way to know how long or how far does it take to accelerate to constant flow?

And during constant flow, do I use Fs = KE or fluid in barrel and thin part + KE of ball? (is it ok to assume the ball reach constant speed as soon as the flow become constant?)

Or do I just need to apply Bernulli's eqn?
Using that, I have a problem on getting the pressure on the narrow side of syringe, as the reaction force given by the ball is keep changing as it is accelerating.

Thank you very much for answering me.

Bernoulli is usually useful ... .
Is this ball inside the syringe needle? If not, how can it provide a reaction Force?

I expect that the geometry is arranged so that (but where is this ball?)
Work done by the pusher (F dx = P dV) becomes KE of the ball, with the fluid stopping when it hits the ball (otherwise the integration could be outrageous, and you didn't mention a restitution coefficient).

But, to answer your question, you know the mass in the barrel (at v_b) and
the mass in the needle (at (A_b / A_n)*v_b ) .
The applied Force has to accelerate the ball (if it is inside the needle) and change some amount of barrel fluid (slow) into needle fluid (fast).
If the ball is inside the needle (or in the barrel), the resulting speed of the ball approaches the eventual speed exponentially, taking an infinite time to reach it exactly.

Thx.
The ball is in the thinner part of syringe.

Can you explain why mass in the needle = (A_b / A_n)*v_b?

And is it ok for me to use Bernulli's eqn, and add the KE expression of the ball on RHS?

What is the formula for calculating flow rate in a syringe?

The formula for calculating flow rate in a syringe is: Flow Rate (mL/min) = Volume of liquid dispensed (mL) / Time (min).

How do I measure the volume of liquid dispensed from a syringe?

The volume of liquid dispensed from a syringe can be measured by reading the markings on the syringe barrel. Each small line represents 0.1 mL and each large line represents 1 mL. Make sure to read the volume at eye level for accurate measurement.

What is the unit of measurement for flow rate in syringes?

The unit of measurement for flow rate in syringes is typically mL/min (milliliters per minute). This indicates the amount of liquid that is dispensed from the syringe in one minute.

How can I determine the time it takes to dispense liquid from a syringe?

The time it takes to dispense liquid from a syringe can be determined by using a stopwatch or a timer. Start the timer when you begin pushing the plunger and stop it when the desired volume of liquid has been dispensed. This will give you the time (in minutes) to use in the flow rate calculation.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of flow rate calculations in syringes?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of flow rate calculations in syringes. These include the viscosity of the liquid being dispensed, the temperature of the liquid, and the size and type of syringe being used. It is important to make sure all variables are consistent and controlled in order to get accurate flow rate measurements.