Calculating Flow Rate in a Varying Diameter Pipe: Oil & Water Density

In summary, the conversation is about finding the flow rate through a pipe with varying diameter, given the gauge pressure at two points and the relative density of the fluid. The use of Bernoulli's equation is suggested, but the speaker also suggests using the formula (1/4)(3.14)(pipe diameter^2)(velocity) to calculate the flow rate. However, there is a lack of information about the velocity and flow rate, so the speaker requests help in starting the problem and suggests using two equations to find the velocity and area first before using Bernoulli's theorem to find the flow rate.
ATHMechanical
Flow Rate through a pipe!

Oil flows along a horizontal pipe which varies uniformly in section from 100 mm diameter at A to 150 mm diameter at B. At A the gauge pressure is 126kN/m2 and at B 140 kN/m2. Find the flow rate in litres per second and kilograms per second. The density of water is 1000kg/m3 and the relative density of the oil is 0.8. could anyone help me find a possible solution to this Q? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

It all kind of depends on the things you can safely assume. Try Bernoulli's equation if you are able to assume all the prerequisites for it (e.g. inviscid flow, along a streamline, etc). Also, try showing a little more work you've done next time and you might get a better response.

I have tried Bernoulli's equation already but I need to find velocity at point A and B. Bernoulli's therom will only let me find one velocity if I have the other, but I have two unknowns. I am also assuming from the Q, it mentions the diameter of the pipe at point A and B which would therefore make it a circular pipe, and to calculate Q you need the cross-sectional area if I am not mistaken.

You may also calculate the Flow Rate by => (1/4)(3.14)(pipe diameter^2)(Velocity)
But I do not have the velocity. From this formula you can change it around to find Velocity but once again I do not have the Flow Rate.

Could you please help start this question...maybe I need two equations, to find velocity and area 1st and then use Bernoulli's therom to find flow rate.

Also thanks for your reply "timthereaper".

ATHMechanical.

1. What is flow rate through a pipe?

The flow rate through a pipe is the volume of fluid passing through a cross-sectional area of the pipe per unit time. It is typically measured in units of volume per unit time, such as liters per second or cubic meters per hour.

2. How is flow rate through a pipe calculated?

The flow rate through a pipe is calculated using the formula Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the velocity of the fluid. This formula assumes that the fluid is incompressible and the flow is steady state.

3. What factors affect flow rate through a pipe?

The flow rate through a pipe is affected by several factors, including the diameter of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe, and the length and roughness of the pipe.

4. What is the relationship between flow rate and pressure in a pipe?

The relationship between flow rate and pressure in a pipe is described by the Bernoulli's equation, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This means that as the flow rate increases, the pressure in the pipe decreases.

5. How can flow rate through a pipe be controlled?

Flow rate through a pipe can be controlled by adjusting the diameter of the pipe, changing the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe, or using flow control devices such as valves or pumps. Changing the properties of the fluid, such as its viscosity, can also affect the flow rate.