• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Flow Rate through a pipe

Flow Rate through a pipe!!

Oil flows along a horizontal pipe which varies uniformly in section from 100 mm diameter at A to 150 mm diameter at B. At A the gauge pressure is 126kN/m2 and at B 140 kN/m2. Find the flow rate in litres per second and kilograms per second. The density of water is 1000kg/m3 and the relative density of the oil is 0.8. could anyone help me find a possible solution to this Q? Thanks.

Answers and Replies

It all kind of depends on the things you can safely assume. Try Bernoulli's equation if you are able to assume all the prerequisites for it (e.g. inviscid flow, along a streamline, etc). Also, try showing a little more work you've done next time and you might get a better response.

I have tried Bernoulli's equation already but I need to find velocity at point A and B. Bernoulli's therom will only let me find one velocity if I have the other, but I have two unknowns. I am also assuming from the Q, it mentions the diameter of the pipe at point A and B which would therfore make it a circular pipe, and to calculate Q you need the cross-sectional area if im not mistaken.

You may also calculate the Flow Rate by => (1/4)(3.14)(pipe diameter^2)(Velocity)
But I do not have the velocity. From this formula you can change it around to find Velocity but once again I do not have the Flow Rate.

Could you please help start this question...maybe I need two equations, to find velocity and area 1st and then use Bernoulli's therom to find flow rate.

Also thanks for your reply "timthereaper".

ATHMechanical.