1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow Rate thru Nozzle

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1
    It's been a while since I've had to do these calculations..

I'm looking for the flow rate at the wall of a 3.175 mm nozzle tip. The diameter of the delivery leading up to it is 19 mm. This is a vertical assembly and the source of the air at 70 psi is a 1/4" outer diameter tube that is approximately 2.5" above the exit. There is about 120 cfh available maximum for this setup.

Anybody looking to take a shot at this, I'd be interested in seeing your solution..

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

You can loosely solve this quickly by Bernoulli's equation. The equation can be written as:
    [tex]
    \frac{p}{\rho} + \frac{V^2}{2} + gz = \mbox{constant}
    [/tex]

So, having what you know, we can solve for the final velocity, and then with the area, get the flow rate.
    [tex]
    \frac{70 \frac{lbf}{in^2}}{0.43 \frac{lbm}{in^3}} + 0.0 + (386.4 \frac{in}{s^2})(30 in) = \frac{V^2}{2}
    [/tex]
    Note here that I have assumed that the velocity in the tank is zero, and that the jet is discharging to ambient pressure (0 gauge). We multiply everything out for:
    [tex]
    162\frac{lbf\,in}{lbm} + 11592\frac{in^2}{s^2} = \frac{V^2}{2}
    [/tex]
    Note the messed up term all the way on the left. That is the cause of much frustration using imperial units. In order to correlate a pound-mass with a pound-force, we need to use the gravitational constant. Now, note that everything here I'm using the inches-pounds-second (IPS) system. We add the gravitational constant:
    [tex]
    \left(162\frac{lbf\,in}{lbm}\right)\left(386.4 \frac{lbm\,in}{lbf\,s^2}\right) + 11592\frac{in^2}{s^2} = \frac{V^2}{2}
    [/tex]
    We now have in2/s2 on both terms. We multiply and add through for:
    [tex]
    8981481\frac{in^2}{s^2} = \frac{V^2}{2}
    [/tex]
    Which results in a velocity of 2997 in/s. Calculate the area, which should be pretty easy. I found the flow rate to be 36.6 in3/s.

Now, for a more accurate calculation, you'll want to calculate the head loss due to the nozzle and pipe bends and add it as an extra term in the equation above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook