Flow Rate

• Thread starter plucker_08
  • Start date
guys, how to measure the volumetric flow rate pass thru a plane that varies in area (small variation)

Answers and Replies

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
Are you inferring that you have some kind of orifice valve or something varying the flow area?

Are you inferring that you have some kind of orifice valve or something varying the flow area?
something varying he flow area. i would like to measure the flow rate passing thru the condenser and the evaporator of a window-type air conditioner

based on what you guys are asking, we have the same kind of issue, we're a network of fish enthusiasts here who are discussing whether or not the calculator found here is accurate or not... if anyone would like to take a look at it and help us out it would be rightly appreciated, especially since I am really, really inept when it comes to math.

stewartcs
Science Advisor
based on what you guys are asking, we have the same kind of issue, we're a network of fish enthusiasts here who are discussing whether or not the calculator found here is accurate or not... if anyone would like to take a look at it and help us out it would be rightly appreciated, especially since I am really, really inept when it comes to math.
Hard to tell since they don't state all of the required inputs. I presume that they make some assumptions for you and then just use the requested data to come up with their answer.

However, a quick hand calculation shows that for a 100-ft length pipe with a Blue Line HD pump (have no idea what the specs are for that pump so I'm using the output flow rate in the calc) shows that you should have about a 13.5 psi pressure drop, not 10.6 psi like they indicated. I'm assuming they are using fresh water with a viscosity of 2.3 cP and a temperature of 60 degrees F, as well as stainless steel pipe. Therefore their answer seems reasonable based on the limited information and assumptions made.

Hope that helps.

CS

wow thanks
well
uh
>math idiot<
least it helps me know if it's accurate ahahah :D