Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow seperation

1. Jun 24, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know of a way to calculate the point at which flow seperation occurs?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2009 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Tritton (Physical Fluid Dynamics) has a qualitative discussion on chapter 12, and Lamb (Hydrodynamics) has a few sections as well.

The problem is extremely difficult, in the linear case separation ocurrs where the normal component of flow vanishes. This leaves open the problem of calculating the flow.

4. Jun 24, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your help. The reason i ask is i'm trying to find the critical angle for a diffuser on a car to produce the most downforce so being able to work out past which angle the flow seperates from the diffuser is key. Do you think it is worth looking into more or am i aiming for somethign that's just unreasonable?

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The good news is that standard airfoil theory should be sufficient for your case- high Reynolds number flow separation has been worked on a lot more than low Reynolds number separation. This may be a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfoil

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook