1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Flow through IV giving setting

1. Oct 29, 2016 #1
    I know I am over thinking this but it's bugging me...

When giving patients fluid through an IV giving set, we set the flow rate by adjusting a rolling clamp on the tubing line. This is in effect creating a construction.

Reading about flow, I am told over and over that flow is conserved. That is, fluid increases its velocity through a constriction to maintain flow.

Clearly this doesn't happen when I clamp the tubing - the flow rate decreases...

I know that Poisuelles law states that flow is directly proportional to radius to the power 4 so that halving r would lead to 16x less flow. But still I though flow was conserved?

I would really appreciate someone explaining this to me...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't know much about fluid dynamics, but I'd guess they mean that the flow through any given hose/tube/whatever is conserved, and that when you change the system, by adjusting the clamp in your case, you create a different system with a different flow rate that is conserved throughout the tube.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted