1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flowcharts Help

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given in the picture below, part c

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted it with a flowchart shown in the pic below as well. Not sure if what I did was correct though

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Overall it looks OK to me, but I don't remember ever seeing a flowchart symbol to represent a for loop. Is that something you've been taught? There is a lot that goes on in a for loop that gets glossed over with such a symbol, such as the initialization of the loop counter variable, the test to get out of the loop, and the incrementing of the loop counter.

4. Mar 19, 2014 #3
    Our teacher showed us it as an automatic counter box, The left most value represents the starter value, the right most represents the amount to increment by each time, the top most is the variable and the bottom most is the value to end at

5. Mar 19, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's reasonable, but I agree w/ Mark that it glosses over the real workings. It is one thing if you use a high-level language loop control that pretty much mimics that box, but if you are writing full loop control in, say, assembly language, your flowchart will not reflect what the code really looks like and may confuse you if things go wrong and you have to debug it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted