1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FLRW metric tensor

1. May 22, 2009 #1

trv

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Not really homework, but thought this might be the best place to get a quick answer.

Question
    Calculate g^{ca}g{ab} for the FLRW metric.

I would have thought this would be

[itex]
    g^{ca}g{ab}=\delta^c_b=4
    [/itex]

I thought 4 because I assumed there should be "1" for each non-zero element in the metric tensor g_{ab}.

Apparently however it should be g^{ca}g_{ab}=1

Can anyone please explain why?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

This is just the Kronecker delta which is 1 if b=c and zero if not, there is no summation going on. If it had been [itex]\delta_b^b[/itex] Einstein summation would have been implied, which would yield 4.

Mathematically:

[tex]
    A^\gamma=g^{\gamma \alpha}A_\alpha= g^{\gamma \alpha}g_{\alpha \nu}A^\nu=\delta_\nu^\gamma A^\nu=A^\gamma
    [/tex]

If it were four, you would get [itex]A^\gamma=4A^\gamma[/itex] which would make little sense.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  4. May 22, 2009 #3

trv

Thanks again Cyosis that clears things up.

5. May 23, 2009 #4

trv

Actually, another quick question.

So the tensor, g^a_b for the FLRW metric, simply has components 1 along the diagonal?

Or for that matter, to generalise it further. Given any metric tensor r_{ab} with all elements being non-zero, r^a_b has components 1 everywhere?

To add to that, given,

[itex]
    L=-0.5(\frac{d\phi}{dt})^2+V(\phi)
    [/itex]

does g^a_bL = L?

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  6. May 23, 2009 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Correct.

No, proof:

[tex]
    r^\alpha_{\;\;\beta}=r^{\alpha \gamma}r_{\gamma \beta}=\delta^\alpha_\beta
    [/tex]

In words, any mixed metric is equal to the Kronecker delta. You basically have a matrix with 1's on the diagonal and zeros elsewhere.

7. May 23, 2009 #6

trv

Oh yeh, true the kronecker delta would imply zeros everywhere apart from the diagonal. I think where I'm going wrong is assuming we multiply each element by its inverse. Giving 1 at all places where the metric tensor had non-zero components. Obviously that's not how it works.

8. May 23, 2009 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Think of these tensors as matrices, where g^{ab} is the inverse of g_{ab}. Just as multiplying a matrix with its inverse yields the identity matrix (AA^{-1}=I), multiplying the metric with its inverse yields the kronecker delta.

9. May 23, 2009 #8

trv

Thanks the two of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook