FLRW Metric Tensor: Calculating g^{ca}g_{ab}

In summary, the FLRW metric has a g_{ab} Tensor with components of 1 along the diagonal, and no summation going on.
trv

Homework Statement

Not really homework, but thought this might be the best place to get a quick answer.

Question
Calculate g^{ca}g{ab} for the FLRW metric.

I would have thought this would be

[itex]
g^{ca}g{ab}=\delta^c_b=4
[/itex]

I thought 4 because I assumed there should be "1" for each non-zero element in the metric tensor g_{ab}.

Apparently however it should be g^{ca}g_{ab}=1

Can anyone please explain why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just the Kronecker delta which is 1 if b=c and zero if not, there is no summation going on. If it had been [itex]\delta_b^b[/itex] Einstein summation would have been implied, which would yield 4.

Mathematically:

[tex]
A^\gamma=g^{\gamma \alpha}A_\alpha= g^{\gamma \alpha}g_{\alpha \nu}A^\nu=\delta_\nu^\gamma A^\nu=A^\gamma
[/tex]

If it were four, you would get [itex]A^\gamma=4A^\gamma[/itex] which would make little sense.

Last edited:
Thanks again Cyosis that clears things up.

Actually, another quick question.

So the tensor, g^a_b for the FLRW metric, simply has components 1 along the diagonal?

Or for that matter, to generalise it further. Given any metric tensor r_{ab} with all elements being non-zero, r^a_b has components 1 everywhere?

To add to that, given,

[itex]
L=-0.5(\frac{d\phi}{dt})^2+V(\phi)
[/itex]

does g^a_bL = L?

Last edited:
trv said:
So the tensor, g^a_b for the FLRW metric, simply has components 1 along the diagonal?

Correct.

trv said:
Or for that matter, to generalise it further. Given any metric tensor r_{ab} with all elements being non-zero, r^a_b has components 1 everywhere?

No, proof:

[tex]
r^\alpha_{\;\;\beta}=r^{\alpha \gamma}r_{\gamma \beta}=\delta^\alpha_\beta
[/tex]

In words, any mixed metric is equal to the Kronecker delta. You basically have a matrix with 1's on the diagonal and zeros elsewhere.

Oh yeh, true the kronecker delta would imply zeros everywhere apart from the diagonal. I think where I'm going wrong is assuming we multiply each element by its inverse. Giving 1 at all places where the metric tensor had non-zero components. Obviously that's not how it works.

trv said:
Oh yeh, true the kronecker delta would imply zeros everywhere apart from the diagonal. I think where I'm going wrong is assuming we multiply each element by its inverse. Giving 1 at all places where the metric tensor had non-zero components. Obviously that's not how it works.

Think of these tensors as matrices, where g^{ab} is the inverse of g_{ab}. Just as multiplying a matrix with its inverse yields the identity matrix (AA^{-1}=I), multiplying the metric with its inverse yields the kronecker delta.

Thanks the two of you.

1. What is the FLRW metric tensor?

The FLRW metric tensor, also known as the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker metric tensor, is a mathematical representation of the four-dimensional spacetime in the context of the expanding universe. It describes the geometry of the universe according to the Friedmann equations, which are solutions to Einstein's field equations of general relativity.

2. How is the FLRW metric tensor calculated?

The FLRW metric tensor is calculated using the four-dimensional spacetime metric, which is a mathematical tool used to describe the curvature of spacetime. It involves a set of equations that take into account the expansion of the universe, the distribution of matter and energy, and the effects of gravity.

3. What does g^{ca}g_{ab} represent in the FLRW metric tensor?

In the FLRW metric tensor, g^{ca}g_{ab} represents the Einstein tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of spacetime due to the distribution of matter and energy. It is a contraction of two tensors, g^{ab} and g_{ab}, which represent the inverse and direct metric tensors, respectively.

4. What is the significance of calculating g^{ca}g_{ab} in the FLRW metric tensor?

Calculating g^{ca}g_{ab} in the FLRW metric tensor allows us to determine the curvature of spacetime and understand how the universe is expanding. It is an important step in solving the Friedmann equations and understanding the evolution of the universe.

5. How does the FLRW metric tensor help us understand the universe?

The FLRW metric tensor is a key tool in understanding the dynamics of the expanding universe. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as the Hubble parameter, which describes the rate of expansion of the universe, and the density parameter, which describes the distribution of matter and energy. These calculations help us understand the past, present, and future of the universe.