How to Protect & Treat Yourself During Flu Season

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: At the peak of the flu season, the flu index is at its highest. Influenzas available this year include the H1N1, H3N2, and Influenza B viruses. Cold viruses are also prevalent. The flu season is typically in late winter or early spring, but it can start as early as October and last until May. There are many ways to prevent the flu and cold viruses. Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. Wash your hands often. If you get the flu, get plenty of rest, drink a lot
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
We are in the height of flu season and one site indicated that their flu index is about max. In addition there are various influenzas, there are cold viruses about.

Simple things to prevent the flu and cold viruses
Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.

If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.

Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.

Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/preventing.htm

If one does contract the flu,

Antiviral Medications
Your doctor may recommend use of an antiviral medication to help treat the flu. Four antiviral drugs (amantadine, rimantadine, zanamavir, and oseltamivir) are approved for treatment of the flu. During the 2005-2006 influenza season, CDC recommends against the use of amantadine or rimantadine for the treatment or prophylaxis of influenza in the United States. (For details, see the January 14, 2006 CDC Health Alert Notice [HAN].) These are prescription medications, and a doctor should be consulted before the drugs are used. Antiviral treatment lasts for 5 days and must be started within 2 days of illness. Therefore, if you get flu-like symptoms, seek medical care early.

Other Ways to Respond to the Flu
If you get the flu, get plenty of rest, drink a lot of liquids, and avoid using alcohol and tobacco. Also, you can take medications such as acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol®) to relieve the fever and muscle aches associated with the flu. Never give aspirin to children or teenagers who have flu-like symptoms, particularly fever.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I always end up getting sick. There is always a few people in the train (right next to me) that cough and sneeze like crazy. :yuck:

At times I feel like beating the crap out of them :biggrin:

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a 'season' for the bird flu?

Is there some date or month after which, if nothing happens, we're all allowed to collectively breathe a sigh of relief (until next year)?

October or November is the best time to get vaccinated, but getting vaccinated in December or even later can still be beneficial. Flu season can begin as early as October and last as late as May.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/keyfacts.htm

It can happen anytime, but it is primarily the mid-fall to mid-spring in the Northern Hemisphere when the human and animal population is indoors, dry conditions facilitate transmission, and people are more stressed.

Avoid close contact with people who are sick. When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.

If possible, stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.

That would explain why I got sick and secondly, why I am not better...damn libido always taking control!:rofl:

Wow, it's currently the peak of flu season? I hadn't even noticed it this year. I haven't noticed anyone out sick, other than me, but that was more that I was just exhausted from working too long of hours and too many days a week, so at the first hint of a sniffle last week, I took a sick day, and after a day of resting and napping, I was fine again. Usually I notice all the parents taking time off because it's the kids who are spreading the germs around. I guess it's a mild year, unless for some reason, we're more isolated from it here.

1. How can I protect myself from getting the flu?

The best way to protect yourself from the flu is to get a flu vaccine every year. Additionally, practicing good hygiene habits such as washing your hands frequently, avoiding close contact with sick individuals, and avoiding touching your face can also help prevent the spread of the flu virus.

2. What should I do if I think I have the flu?

If you think you have the flu, it's important to stay home and rest. You should also drink plenty of fluids and take over-the-counter medications to relieve symptoms such as fever, cough, and body aches. If your symptoms are severe or persist for more than a few days, it's best to consult with a healthcare professional.

3. Are there any natural remedies for treating the flu?

While there is no cure for the flu, there are some natural remedies that may help alleviate symptoms. These include drinking herbal teas, using essential oils, and consuming foods that are high in vitamin C and zinc. However, it's important to remember that these remedies are not a substitute for medical treatment.

4. How can I prevent spreading the flu to others?

If you have the flu, it's important to take precautions to prevent spreading it to others. This includes staying home from work or school until you have been fever-free for at least 24 hours, covering your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing, and avoiding close contact with others. It's also important to regularly disinfect commonly touched surfaces such as doorknobs and countertops.

5. Can I get the flu more than once in a season?

Yes, it is possible to get the flu more than once in a season. This is because there are multiple strains of the flu virus and the vaccine may not protect against all of them. It's important to get a flu vaccine every year, as the vaccine is updated to protect against the most common strains of the virus for that season.