Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Flu Vaccine

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My company is giving free flu vaccinations at my office the end of October, but I think I will opt to use my free voucher to get it sooner at the doctor.

I've gotten the free flu vaccines for the last couple of years and I am so glad I did.

I'm trying to convince Evo Child to get a vaccination, but she's fallen victim to internet misinformation. I don't want her getting the flu. A few years ago she had pnuemonia that lingered and she developed pleurisy. She was very ill for over 6 months. She needs the vaccine and idiot misinformation on the web has her scared. :mad:

Can we get some professional input here? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2

berkeman

As an EMT, I got beat up by the Paramedics and Nurses and Docs that I work with, for not bothering to get a flu shot in previous years. Now I get one each year, especially with all of the patient contacts. Kinda' like a teacher -- lots of carriers that you deal with.

She may get a little sick from the vaccine, but it will only last a day or so, and will not be the full-blown flu (EDIT -- AFAIK, even this is rare). Everybody needs to get both the regular seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine this year. We need to keep this coming flu season under control as much as we can, and it's going to take everybody's help.

4. Sep 25, 2009 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here in France, there's a strange tendency. I used to get a seasonal flu shot about every year (except for those years when I was too late, like when there was that crazy avian flu panic, and everybody got a seasonal flu shot - the stocks were sold out in a few days time). The H1N1 vaccine will probably be available mid - october or so (although the epidemic is already coming up quickly, so it might come too late...). Now, there are a lot of rumors about that vaccine, and about 50% of MD don't want to get it themselves according to a recent poll on the radio ! My own MD isn't keen either :bugeye:
    So what's up here ?

Is there actually *any* greater risk for this H1N1 vaccine than for the regular vaccine (except maybe that it might turn out to be less effective, but still more than 0% when you don't get it) ?

5. Sep 25, 2009 #4
    Cold and Flu Guidelines from the American Lung Association gives great advice.:smile:
    http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35868#what [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Sep 26, 2009 #5

berkeman

And the CDC website resouce for H1N1 info. Click on "Q&A" for info about the vaccine...

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU/

7. Sep 26, 2009 #6

berkeman

One caveat from the CDC Q&A website that I linked above:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  8. Sep 26, 2009 #7
    Excellent Berkeman! :biggrin: Thank you.

From the link (url) that I previously provided we should make mention to all viewers how important it is to read *everything* on the websites that we have presented. Here is something important from the link I earlier provided:

:smile:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  9. Sep 26, 2009 #8

berkeman

Thanks for that VoMars! I hadn't heard the contraindication for folks allergic to eggs yet. Is that coming out of the H1N1 trials? Or has that been around for a while for flu vacinations?

10. Sep 26, 2009 #9
    It's old news babe! :biggrin:

Thanks again,

Mars

p.s. Noticed you have a HAM radio. CB's are fun while on the road.

11. Sep 26, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I always thought that was a standard thing with at least the flu vaccine being created using eggs....

12. Sep 26, 2009 #11
    Sorry, I was in a rush. Let me explain further to avoid confusion. I gave information about "flu" vaccine requested by Evo.

Let's now discuss H1N1 Flu from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The latest update as of September 22, 2009. Here is the beginning of the article, but be sure to read the entire article.

Here is the difference between Influenza Vaccines and Antiviral Drugs. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  13. Sep 26, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Evo child is susceptible to pleurisy and pneumonia as complications of flu, then yes, she really better get the vaccinations. Otherwise, I don't honestly think that the vaccine risks substantially outweigh the likelihood of actually catching the flu to consider it mandatory unless you work in a hospital or doctor's office, where there's a high likelihood of being exposed to the nastiest flu.

I ignore the seasonal flu vaccine every year. It's too much of a crap shoot whether it's going to protect against anything or not, and I'm not in any high risk category. If I catch flu, I catch flu...a few days off work so I can sit in bed and sniffle actually sounds like a good idea right now.

14. Sep 26, 2009 #13

Evo

She is susceptible and I would prefer she gets the vaccine, so I agree with you. She really needs the vaccine.

I have been terribly ill for weeks with complications from the flu, so getting the vaccines and not being sick since is like a miracle. My employer brings people to our office to give the vaccines, so almost everyone gets them. It's amazing, no one gets sick anymore. I highly recommend them to anyone that can take them. I know from members that have had the flu how sick they get and how long they are sick, it's not a cold, where you have sniffles for a few days. The flu can kill you, and if it doesn't, you think it's going to kill you.

15. Sep 27, 2009 #14
    Imagine all those millions of people who do not want to vaccinate themselves now, panicking when the virus mutates and becomes more dangerous. If the original vaccine still protects well against the mutated virus (perhaps it won't protect you from becoming ill anymore, but it may make the illness more mild), you may have missed the boat.

A new vaccine campaign will of course be started, but it will take time to vaccinate a significant part of the country and it takes time to build up immunity from the moment that you get the shot.

16. Sep 27, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But even if it mutates, won't the old vaccine still provide some protection?

And that leads me to something I've been wondering. I just recovered from what I am pretty sure was swine flu (I never got sick enough to go to the doctor to get a definite diagnosis). So if it mutates and becomes more lethal, would I have a bit of protection against it, since I had the mild version?

Btw, I still plan to get the swine flu vaccine, if there is enough to go around. I also will get the seasonal flu shot, even though I've never had the flu.

17. Sep 28, 2009 #16
    It depends on how much the virus changes. It is possible it can mutate enough to render the vaccine useless, but according to WHO, it is unlikely the virus will mutate enough for this to happen. It is also possible that it will change, but not enough to render the vaccine useless. According to the WHO. the virus seams to be very stable, and it is unlikely it will mutate.

18. Sep 28, 2009 #17
    Is the the Swine flu really as bad as the media making sound like? I mean still wasting for the bird flu pandemic that's suppose to kill us all. From what I heard Swine flu is not as bad as the regular flu just it mutates faster making it harder to come with vaccines for it.
    I'm impressed by the fact that infants are now using the internet.

19. Sep 28, 2009 #18
    Statistically, the vast majority of people who die from the H1N1 virus had compromised immune systems and/or respiratory problems. The fact that she has a previous history of respiratory issues combined with the fact that H1N1 is particularly contagious; She needs to get the vaccine. While I'm not a fan of scare-tactics, perhaps you should tell her that her likelihood of dieing from H1N1 is much greater than that of an average person. The risk of harmful side-affects from the vaccine is very minimal, especially since the alternative is so dangerous for her.

20. Sep 28, 2009 #19
    i don't think H1N1 is offered to anyone here except old/young/pregnant/etc. i'm just going to try keeping my vit. D status high and hope for the best.

21. Sep 30, 2009 #20

Scott1, don't be silly. Perhaps you need to reread my messages since you obviously didn't in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook