Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flue and Muscle ache

1. Nov 22, 2003 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been under the weather for the past few days with a flue :frown: I am wondering, where do the muscle aches come from? :frown: I was supposed to have a fun-night out in Amsterdam yesterday (Kill Bill just came out).. but nothing of that..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2003 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I remember correctly, it is due in part to the immune responce

4. Nov 22, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But then why with a flue and not with a cold?

5. Nov 22, 2003 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Flu is more virulent than the common cold. The flu migth also have genes that mislead the immune responce toward something else.

6. Nov 23, 2003 #5

adrenaline

Science Advisor

almost any virus can cause myalgias (muscle aches)

Parvoviru B-19 (fifth's disease in kids), adenovirus, Hepatitis C, Mononucleosis from either cytomegolovirus or epstein barr, and Hiv; the latter can present with severe flu like illness and myalgias during the acute infection (before you seroconvert and can detect the HIV antibody.) The list is endless. It is due to the immune response and inflammatory mediators that are relesed during the acute infection. (although hep c can give you chronic clinical course with regards to myalgias and arthritis.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  7. Nov 24, 2003 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you adrenaline, so does anyone know on a molecular level what is going on?

8. Nov 24, 2003 #7

adrenaline

Science Advisor

The general census among clinicians is that we don't know the exact etiology... Possibilities include direct invasion of muscle tissue by the virus, release of myotoxic cytokines or other immunologic processes. a cell biologist would probably know more of the details, but once again, I think it is still speculative how these viruses cause myalgias.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?