Calculating Flue Gas Enthalphy kJ/kg - Marcus

In summary: J}{kg}##Is that correct?In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking confirmation on their method for calculating the enthalpy of flue gas leaving a gas turbine. The student provided their equations and attempts at a solution, as well as their concerns about the units and whether their method was correct. Another user questioned the use of the ideal gas law and suggested including the heats of formation for H2O and CO2 in the calculation. The student then clarified their units and equations and adjusted their calculation to include the heats of formation.
marsten
Hi

1. Homework Statement

I'm trying to calculate the enthalphy of flue gas leaving a gas turbine, in kJ/kg. I just want to confirm that I'm using a correct method.

Homework Equations

hfg = (VCO2⋅ hCO2 + VH2O⋅ hH2O + VN2⋅ hN2 + VO2⋅ hO2) / (VCO2 + VH2O + VN2 + VO2)

ρfg = (p⋅ M) / (R⋅ Tfg)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already calculated the total flue gas volume and the volumes of the flue gas components, and I'm fairly sure that I've got that right.

The next step is to calculate the flue gas enthalphy using the following equation (the enthalpies are taken from a table at Tfg = 497 °C):

hfg = (VCO2⋅ hCO2 + VH2O⋅ hH2O + VN2⋅ hN2 + VO2⋅ hO2) / (VCO2 + VH2O + VN2 + VO2)
hfg = (0,59⋅ 991 + 0,55⋅ 776 + 5,09⋅ 653 + 0,81⋅ 688) / (0,59 + 0,55 + 5,09 + 0,81) = 695 kJ/mn3

Then, from the ideal gas law, I get the density of the flue gas (M is an average that I've calculated, and p = 1 bar):

ρfg = (p⋅ M) / (R⋅ Tfg)
ρfg = (1⋅ 105⋅ 29⋅ 10-3) / (8,314⋅ 770) = 0,45 kg/m3

And finally, to convert from kJ/mn3 to kJ/kg, I divide the calculated enthalphy with the density:

hfg = 695 kJ/mn3 / 0,45 kg/m3 = 1532 kJ/kg

Is my method correct? My biggest concern is whether or not m3 really cancel off mn3.

Thanks!

Marcus

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of the h's and the V's, and what do they represent? What makes you think you can get the density of the flue gas by using the molecular weight of air in ideal gas law?

Thank you for your answer. I will try to make things clearer with units.

Chestermiller said:
What are the units of the h's and the V's, and what do they represent?

The h represents the enthalphy. I think you are more familiar with using i. The unit in this case is ##\frac{kJ}{m_{n}^{3}}##
The V represents the volume of each flue gas component. The unit is ##\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}##

##h_{fg}=\frac{V_{CO_{2}}h_{CO_{2}}+V_{H_{2}O}h_{H_{2}O}+V_{N_{2}}h_{N_{2}}+V_{O_{2}}h_{O_{2}}}{V_{CO_{2}}+V_{H_{2}O}+V_{N_{2}}+V_{O_{2}}}=
\frac{0,59\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}\cdot 991\frac{kJ}{m_{n}^{3}}+0,55\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}\cdot 776\frac{kJ}{m_{n}^{3}}+5,09\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}\cdot 653\frac{kJ}{m_{n}^{3}}+0,81\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}\cdot 688\frac{kJ}{m_{n}^{3}}}{0,59\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}+0,55\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}+5,09\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}+0,81\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}}=
695\frac{kJ}{m_{n}^{3}}##

##\rho_{fg}=\frac{p_{fg}\cdot M_{avg}}{R\cdot T_{fg}}=\frac{10^{5}Pa\cdot 0,029 \frac{kg}{mol}}{8,314\frac{J}{mol\cdot K}\cdot 770K}=0,45\frac{kg}{m^{3}}##

##h_{fg}=\frac{695\frac{kJ}{m_{n}^{3}}}{0,45\frac{kg}{m^{3}}}=1532 \frac{kJ}{kg}##

Chestermiller said:
What makes you think you can get the density of the flue gas by using the molecular weight of air in ideal gas law?

I have calculated an average molecular weight by using the volume-% of each component and the molecular weight of each component, and it happened to be the same as for air. I just assume that the gas behave like an ideal gas to make it more simple, that's the only reason for it.

What is ##m_n## or ##m_n^3##? Why aren't you expressing the enthalpies on a molar basis?

Chestermiller said:
What is ##m_n## or ##m_n^3##? Why aren't you expressing the enthalpies on a molar basis?

It's normal cubic meter.Ok, so I have the volume of each component of the flue gas :
##V_{CO_{2}}=0,59\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}##
##V_{H_{2}O}=0,55\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}##
##V_{N_{2}}=5,09\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}##
##V_{O_{2}}=0,81\frac{m_{n}^{3}}{m_{n}^{3}fuel}##

And thus also the volume-%, which I've read is the same as the molar-% :
##v_{CO_{2}}=8\%##
##v_{H_{2}O}=8\%##
##v_{N_{2}}=72\%##
##v_{O_{2}}=11\%##

With the molar-% (or volume-%) known I can use the same equation as above to find the enthalphy on molar basis (see the attached file for the table from where I got the enthalpies) :

##h_{fg}=\frac{v_{CO_{2}}h_{CO_{2}}+v_{H_{2}O}h_{H_{2}O}+v_{N_{2}}h_{N_{2}}+v_{O_{2}}h_{O_{2}}}{v_{CO_{2}}+v_{H_{2}O}+v_{N_{2}}+v_{O_{2}}}=
\frac{8\%\cdot 22347\frac{kJ}{kmol}+8\%\cdot 17617\frac{kJ}{kmol}+72\%\cdot 14808\frac{kJ}{kmol}+11\%\cdot 15580\frac{kJ}{kmol}}{100\%}=
15999\frac{kJ}{kmol}##

And then I find the average molecular weight of the flue gas with the volume-% and molecular weight of gas component :

##M_{avg}=v_{CO_{2}}\cdot M_{CO_{2}}+v_{H_{2}O}\cdot M_{H_{2}O}+v_{N_{2}}\cdot M_{N_{2}}+v_{O_{2}}\cdot M_{O_{2}}=8\%\cdot 44\frac{g}{mol}+8\%\cdot 18\frac{g}{mol}+72\%\cdot 28\frac{g}{mol}+11\%\cdot 32\frac{g}{mol}=29\frac{g}{mol}##

And finally I convert the enthalphy from kJ/kmol to kJ/kg :

##15999\frac{kJ}{kmol}\Rightarrow 15999\frac{kJ}{kmol}\cdot \frac{1kmol}{1000mol}\cdot \frac{1}{29\frac{g}{mol}\cdot \frac{1kg}{1000g}}=552\; \frac{kJ}{kg}##There is a huge difference between the two enthalpies that I've calculated depending on the method used. But the last method seems better. What do you think?

Marcus

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 410
I think your methodology in post #5 is correct. However, I am concerned that the specific enthalpies of all the gases in your table are taken to be zero at 0 C. Shouldn't the heats of formation of H2O and CO2 be included?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Shouldn't the heats of formation of H2O and CO2 be included?

I don't know. But maybe you're right. I found a table and the enthalpy of formation is :

##h_{f_{CO_{2}}}=-394\frac{kJ}{kmol}##
##h_{f_{H_{2}O}}=-242\frac{kJ}{kmol}##

Should I just subtract this number from the enthalpy that I originally used, like this :

##h_{fg}=\frac{8\%\cdot 22347-394\frac{kJ}{kmol}+8\%\cdot 17617-242\frac{kJ}{kmol}+72\%\cdot 14808\frac{kJ}{kmol}+11\%\cdot 15580\frac{kJ}{kmol}}{100\%}=
15695\frac{kJ}{kmol}##

And then convert from kJ/kmol to kJ/kg :

##15695\frac{kJ}{kmol}\Rightarrow 15695\frac{kJ}{kmol}\cdot \frac{1kmol}{1000mol}\cdot \frac{1}{29\frac{g}{mol}\cdot \frac{1kg}{1000g}}=541\; \frac{kJ}{kg}##

Marcus

I don't know. It isn't clear what temperature these heats of formation apply at. And, I don't know what your professor expects you to do.

Chestermiller said:
I don't know. It isn't clear what temperature these heats of formation apply at.

They apply at 25 °C and 1 atm.

Chestermiller said:
And, I don't know what your professor expects you to do.

I'll ask him if it's necessary to take into consideration. The calculation of the flue gas enthalpy is just a small part of a bigger project I'm working on.

Thank you so much for your help Chet!

Marcus

Likes Chestermiller

What is the formula for calculating flue gas enthalpy?

The formula for calculating flue gas enthalpy is: Enthalpy = Cp x (Tf - Ti), where Cp is the specific heat capacity of the gas, Tf is the temperature of the flue gas, and Ti is the temperature of the inlet air.

What is the unit of measurement for flue gas enthalpy?

The unit of measurement for flue gas enthalpy is kilojoules per kilogram (kJ/kg).

How is flue gas enthalpy used in industry?

Flue gas enthalpy is used in industry to measure the amount of energy lost in the combustion process and to determine the efficiency of a boiler or furnace. It is also used to calculate the fuel consumption rate and to optimize the combustion process for maximum efficiency.

What factors can affect the flue gas enthalpy?

The factors that can affect flue gas enthalpy include the composition of the fuel, the combustion process, excess air levels, and the type of equipment used. Other factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, and altitude can also impact the flue gas enthalpy.

How can flue gas enthalpy be measured?

Flue gas enthalpy can be measured using a variety of instruments, including thermocouples, calorimeters, and gas analyzers. These instruments can measure the temperature, flow rate, and composition of the flue gas, which can then be used to calculate the enthalpy using the formula mentioned above.

Back