How Is Fluence Rate Calculated at the Center of a Radiating Sphere?

So, in summary, for part a, the fluence rate at point P is equal to that of a point source with intensity S=105 particles cm-2 sec-1 and radius r=30 cm. For part b, the average fluence rate over the entire sphere is equal to the fluence rate at P multiplied by the surface area of the sphere, which is 378,450 particles cm-2 sec-1.
cbritta

Homework Statement

The point P is located at the origin of a spherical-surface radiation source. The diameter of the sphere is 30 cm, and the source intensity is uniformly 105 particles cm-2 sec-1 over the entire spherical surface. (a) Calculate the fluence rate(particles cm-2 sec-1) at P. (b) Calculate the average fluence rate over the entire sphere.

Homework Equations

Fluence Rate of an isotropic point source:Φ= S/4πr2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I attempted to treat the entire spherical surface as a collection of point charges and integrate across this surface. I set up an integral from 0 to (4πr)^2, integrating the above equation for fluence rate of a point source Φ= S/4πr2. The radius is a constant 30 cm and can be pulled out along with the rest of the fluence equation. After integrating I am getting S alone as the answer. The units are correct for the answer I am just not sure if I am going about this the right way. Furthermore, I have no idea about how to tackle part b without knowledge of part a.

Physics news on Phys.org

For part a, your approach seems correct. You can think of the entire spherical surface as a collection of point sources, with each point source having the same intensity of 105 particles cm-2 sec-1. So, the fluence rate at P would be the same as that of a point source with intensity S=105 particles cm-2 sec-1 and radius r=30 cm.

For part b, you can use the definition of average fluence rate, which is the total fluence rate divided by the surface area. In this case, the total fluence rate is equal to the fluence rate at P (calculated in part a) multiplied by the surface area of the sphere. The surface area of a sphere is given by 4πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere. So, the average fluence rate would be:

Φ_avg = (Φ at P) * (surface area of sphere) = (105 particles cm-2 sec-1) * (4π * (30 cm)^2) = 378,450 particles cm-2 sec-1

Hope this helps!

What is Fluence Rate of a Sphere?

Fluence rate of a sphere is a measure of the amount of energy per unit area received by a sphere from a source.

How is Fluence Rate of a Sphere calculated?

The fluence rate of a sphere can be calculated by dividing the energy received by the sphere by the surface area of the sphere.

What factors can affect the Fluence Rate of a Sphere?

The fluence rate of a sphere can be affected by the distance from the source, the intensity of the source, and the absorption and scattering properties of the material the sphere is made of.

Why is Fluence Rate of a Sphere important in scientific research?

Fluence rate of a sphere is important in scientific research because it helps in understanding the amount of energy being received by a specific object or material, which can have implications for various experiments and studies.

Can Fluence Rate of a Sphere be measured experimentally?

Yes, fluence rate of a sphere can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as radiometry, photometry, or spectroscopy.