Calculating Air Friction Trajectory of a Ball

• Thread starter Sh00b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses how to incorporate air friction into the trajectory of a ball. It is suggested to find the net force on the ball, including friction, and use that to determine its trajectory. The drag equation is mentioned, which includes the drag coefficient, air density, velocity, and reference area. The drag coefficient is determined experimentally and can be found in reports or textbooks for common shapes. It is recommended to lump the terms into one constant and use this relationship in the equations of motion to solve for the trajectory with air friction. The direction of the drag is also mentioned, opposing the motion of the ball.
Sh00b
I'm trying to figure out the trajectory of a ball but i don't know how to incorporate air friction. I've googled it several times but havn't found anything. Most are just examples but don't describe how to calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have all the forces on the ball, including friction, you can find the net force on it and use that to determine its trajectory. Pretty simple really.

Well, i got the trajectory of the ball without friction already, but i don't know how to add fluid friction simply because i don't know how to calculate it. Is there some kind of formula for fluid friction?

So...drag equation is:
D = Cd * r * .5 * V^2 * A
With:
Cd = Drag Coefficient
r = air density
V = velocity
A = reference area

To find the drag coefficient, the only thing it describes "The drag coefficient is a number that aerodynamicists use to model all of the complex dependencies of shape, inclination, and flow conditions on aircraft drag."

So I'm now confused on how to get the drag coefficient.

Drag coefficients are determined experimentally, and for some common shapes, e.g. a ball or sphere, the drag coefficient may be tabulated and available from a report or textbook.

Sh00b said:
So...drag equation is:
D = Cd * r * .5 * V^2 * A
With:
Cd = Drag Coefficient
r = air density
V = velocity
A = reference area

To find the drag coefficient, the only thing it describes "The drag coefficient is a number that aerodynamicists use to model all of the complex dependencies of shape, inclination, and flow conditions on aircraft drag."

So I'm now confused on how to get the drag coefficient.

Lump all the terms into one 'constant' - you can compute it more accurately later, then you have a relationship in v^2... Work this back into your equation/s of motion & you should be well on your way...

desA

The direction of the drag opposes the motion of the ball. That is it will be in the opposite direction of the velocity of the ball. Are you trying to solve it numerically or analytically?

1. How is air friction calculated?

Air friction, also known as air resistance or drag, is calculated using the drag equation: Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where Fd is the drag force, ρ is the density of the air, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

2. How does air friction affect the trajectory of a ball?

Air friction affects the trajectory of a ball by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its intended path. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences a drag force that acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force reduces the ball's speed and causes it to follow a curved trajectory instead of a straight line.

3. How do you account for air friction when calculating the trajectory of a ball?

To account for air friction, you must include the drag force in the equations of motion for the ball. This can be done by using the drag equation mentioned in the first question. The drag force will act as a resistance force, reducing the acceleration and velocity of the ball as it moves through the air.

4. What factors affect the amount of air friction on a ball?

The amount of air friction on a ball depends on several factors, including the velocity of the ball, the density of the air, the drag coefficient of the ball, and the cross-sectional area of the ball. Generally, higher velocities, denser air, larger drag coefficients, and larger cross-sectional areas will result in greater air friction on the ball.

5. Can you completely eliminate air friction on a ball?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate air friction on a ball. However, you can minimize its effects by reducing the velocity of the ball, choosing a design with a lower drag coefficient, or altering the shape of the ball to decrease its cross-sectional area.