Would Fluid Droplets Land in the Same Position in a Vacuum?

In summary, The conversation discusses the pattern resulting from droplets of fluid onto a hard surface. The speaker, who works in a fuel bay, has noticed that the main drop bounces and breaks into smaller drops which scatter randomly. They ask if, in a fully isolated vacuum, dropping identical drops would result in the smaller droplets landing in the same position each time. The response notes that factors such as flow fluctuations and surface tension can influence the dripping, and suggests that doing the experiment in a vacuum at low temperature may yield more consistent results.
Mhorton91
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the pattern resulting from droplets of fluid onto a hard surface.

Set-up
In addition to being a full time student I also work full time in the fuel bay of a local trucking company terminal. Not the most glamorous job, but regardless. This question comes from as follows, one of our pumps leaks a steady stream of small drops. When the floor is dry, and I watch them, the main drop seems to bounce then break into smaller drops which scatter randomly across the floor. (I'm sure there is a scientific name for this, I just don't know it)

Question
Despite efforts to hold the nozzle exactly still, the smaller drops (after the main drop has "bounced") always appear to spread out randomly. Now, I know that in spite of my efforts to keep everything perfectly still, there are always many small changes to wind speed, temp, volume of initial drop etc... However, it made me curious, if you set up a similar "dropper" in a fully isolated vacuum, and dropped identical drops one after another, would the resultant smaller droplets land in exactly the same position each time?As I reread that, it doesn't sound like a very intelligent question to be asking, but my curiosity has become overwhelming; and I just have to ask.Thanks for any input!
Requ

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

I suspect you will find that the water droplets will boil and vaporise in the vacuum chamberDave

Mhorton91 said:
Question
Despite efforts to hold the nozzle exactly still... However, it made me curious, if you set up a similar "dropper" in a fully isolated vacuum, and dropped identical drops one after another, would the resultant smaller droplets land in exactly the same position each time?
Requ

A few things that influence the dripping:

There are also flow fluctuations which do not depend on air pressure or air in general. Like small vertices at the nozzle which fluctuate with time. And let's not forget Surface tension effects which coupled with the flow fluctuations will enhance the dispersion.
If you have a near perfect nozzle with a smooth flow the drops will be very consistent. But at small dimensions it is hard to get.

Doing the experiment in a vacuum at low temperature (to avoid some of the boil off) will be slightly better than in air, IMO.

What are fluid droplets in a vacuum?

Fluid droplets in a vacuum are tiny spherical or elongated liquid or gas molecules that are suspended in a vacuum environment.

What is the significance of studying fluid droplets in a vacuum?

Studying fluid droplets in a vacuum allows scientists to understand the behavior and properties of fluids in a low-pressure environment, which has important applications in fields such as materials science and aerospace engineering.

How are fluid droplets created in a vacuum?

Fluid droplets can be created in a vacuum through a process called atomization, where a liquid is broken up into smaller droplets using mechanical, thermal, or electrical forces.

What factors affect the behavior of fluid droplets in a vacuum?

The behavior of fluid droplets in a vacuum can be influenced by factors such as the properties of the fluid itself, the size and shape of the droplets, and the pressure and temperature of the vacuum environment.

What are some practical applications of studying fluid droplets in a vacuum?

The study of fluid droplets in a vacuum has practical applications in fields such as inkjet printing, drug delivery systems, and the development of new materials with unique properties.