How high can water rise in a stream when a hand is placed in it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how high water can rise up an arm placed in a stream flowing at U meters per second. The participants consider using Bernoulli's principle and mass conservation to find the height, but also question the involvement of the cross-sectional area of the stream and the area occupied by the arm. It is also mentioned that the hand is in the stream, making it possible to apply Bernoulli's principle.
SimbaTheLion
"If you put your arm in a stream flowing at U metres per second, how far can water rise up it?"

Not really sure if what I'm doing is right. Presumably it depends on the angle of your arm in the water. If we let the speed of the water at your arm be V, we get, by Bernoulli, taking the height up your arm to be h, the pressure to be p_atm before and p afterwards:

p_atm/ρ + U²/2 = p/ρ + V²/2.

And we know p = p_atm + ρgh.

Which gives:

U²/2 = gh + V²/2.

I'm trying to use mass conservation now, but then don't we need the cross-sectional area of the stream, and the area that is occupied by your arm?

Am I going about the question in completely the wrong way?

Help please :) !

Physics news on Phys.org
If all of the kinetic energy in the moving fluid were converted to potential (by increasing elevation) how high could it go?

gmax137 said:
If all of the kinetic energy in the moving fluid were converted to potential (by increasing elevation) how high could it go?

Well, suppose the fluid had kinetic energy E = mU²/2. Then we need to find h such that mgh = mU²/2. So h = U²/2g. Is that all I have to do? :S

Is the hand in the stream or out of it?

If it's in, there there's sense to apply Bernoulli's principal...otherwise it's simple force resolution.

I think.

dE_logics said:
Is the hand in the stream or out of it?

If it's in, there there's sense to apply Bernoulli's principal...otherwise it's simple force resolution.

I think.

Yeah, the hand is in the stream. Hmm, so is what I've done in the first post correct? If so, how do I continue?

1. What is fluid dynamics confusion?

Fluid dynamics confusion refers to the confusion that arises when studying the behavior of fluids, such as liquids and gases. It is a branch of physics that deals with how fluids move and interact with their surroundings.

2. What are the key principles of fluid dynamics?

The key principles of fluid dynamics include the conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles govern how fluids behave and can help predict their movement and interactions.

3. How is fluid dynamics used in real life?

Fluid dynamics is used in a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and designing water and sewage systems. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and hydraulic engineering.

4. What are some common misconceptions about fluid dynamics?

One common misconception about fluid dynamics is that it only applies to liquids. In reality, it also applies to gases and other fluids. Another misconception is that fluids always move in a smooth, predictable manner, when in fact they can exhibit chaotic and turbulent behavior.

5. How can I learn more about fluid dynamics?

There are many resources available for learning about fluid dynamics, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. It can also be helpful to connect with experts in the field and conduct experiments or simulations to gain a better understanding of the principles and applications of fluid dynamics.