1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics - Extracting Information from Instantaneous Snapshot

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    I have questions about how fluid dynamics may be used in general, particularly flow visualisation and extraction of flow parameters.

I currently use a DNS code to propagate a wake near the fluid surface (fixed), from which I extract snapshots of the surface velocity field at particular integrals which then is used as input to some remote-sensing models to simulate a radar image of the surface. I'm doing this for a simulated ship wake, and so what you see is some of the larger flow structure which is present at the surface. So, taking the instantaneous surface velocity profile, I get a snapshot of that flow/profile, analogous to a photograph.

What I'm interested in is whether that snapshot of the flow/structure can be used to extract (qualitative or quantitative) information about the flow. I have to assume that no time series is available, and so whether/what information about the flow is extractable from that single snapshot image. I also have to assume that there is no other information available, apart from the length scale of the image.

Any ideas?

I’m sorry if this is unclear, but I’m not a fluid dynamicist and so I’m not familiar with the terminology or practices involved with CFD or flow visualisation. If you’ve any questions, please ask.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted