1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics for a nozzle

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Open ended problem really, nothing is given except that I need a thrust of 30 lbf. Similar to dyson fan which entrains and induces air, increasing airflow 15 times. Working around this concept, I'm trying to design a nozzle so I can calculate the ratio of inlet and exit areas. So far I know that for the most efficient nozzle, the exit pressure must equal atmospheric. This is all for subsonic flow.

2. Relevant equations
    Wasn't exactly sure where to start, so I took Bernoulli's equation (ignoring gz term), substituted the conservation of mass terms, and plugged that into a thrust equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Bernoulli's: Vi^2/2 + Pi/rho = Ve^2 + Patm/rho
    COM: Ai*Vi = Ae*Ve
    Thrust: F= mdot*Ve + (Pe-Patm)Ae, Pe=Patm

Throw that all together,

F = rho *(Ae^2/Ai)*Vi *sqrt(Vi^2 + 2(Pi - Patm)/rho))

Here I have 4 unknowns if I have a constraint that F must equal 30lbf. I could set Ae^2/Ai as a ratio and take it down to 3 unknowns, but that doesn't help much. Any thoughts on how I could nail this down so I have one input and output?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted