1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics Help

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    I understand the concept of this question, I think, but I don't know how to go about getting an answer.

A tank is completely full of water with no air. A valve at the bottom is opened, while one on top remains closed. What is the lowest pressure that the tank will reach. From valve to valve the height is 30ft.

I understand that as the water drains, it will pull a vacuum inside the tank, which will eventually collapse at a low enough pressure. I also know that the water will vaporize at some point due to the lack of pressure in the tank, but I don't know if they want the vapor pressure (no temp was given) or if there is some calculation to do.

Any guidance is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2007 #2
    For anyone who is wondering, I found out the answer. You assume atmospheric pressure pushes up into valve B, so the pressure in the tank is 14.7psi-(rho)gh where rho is the density of water, g is gravitational accel. (32.2ft/s^2), and h is 30ft. The point was that on the second part (h=40ft), the minimum pressure is below the vapor pressure of water, so the vessel is not possible at that height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?