Fluid dynamics problem- bernoulli?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the speed at which water is supplied from a very large open water tank with a 50 cm diameter output pipe connected 10 m above a 6 cm diameter water main with a gauge pressure of 9.8 E4 Pa. The equations mentioned for solving this problem include Bernoulli's equation and the flow rate equation Av = constant. However, the individual is having trouble obtaining the correct answer of 0.5 m/s and is seeking assistance in identifying the correct numbers to plug into the equations.
fysics4fun

Homework Statement

A very large open water tank has a 50 cm diameter output pipe connected 10 m above the water main which is 6 cm in diameter. If the gauge pressure in the water main reads 9.8 E4 Pa what is the speed at whic the water is supplied?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation and maybe flow rate Av = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

When I use these two equations in combination, I never get the answer I'm supposed to get, 0.5 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can use P1 + [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]V12 = P2 + [tex]\rho[/tex]Vg + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\rho[/tex]V22Also this isn't "advanced" :p

I didn't think it was advanced either, until I couldn't get the right answer. ..I thought there was an "advanced" answer to what seemed like a simple question :P

Sorry to waste your time.

But I already knew which equation to use, so this doesn't help. Can someone please tell me the actual numbers to plug in? For example, if I use Av constant to put v1 in terms of v2 and solve for v2, it doesn't give me the desired answer of 0.5 m/s. I can't see what I'm doing wrong and I need a fresh perspective.

1. What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that in a fluid, the sum of its kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure is constant throughout the fluid. In other words, as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How is Bernoulli's principle applied in fluid dynamics problems?

Bernoulli's principle can be applied in various fluid dynamics problems, such as calculating the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe, determining the lift on an airplane wing, or analyzing the behavior of fluids in a Venturi tube. It is used to understand the relationship between pressure, speed, and energy in a fluid.

3. What are the assumptions made in Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle is based on the assumptions that the fluid is incompressible, non-viscous, and flowing in a steady state. It also assumes that there is no energy loss due to friction or turbulence in the fluid.

4. How do you solve a Bernoulli's principle problem?

To solve a Bernoulli's principle problem, you first need to identify the variables given, such as the fluid density, flow velocity, and pressure at different points. Then, you can use the Bernoulli's equation to calculate the unknown variables. It is important to ensure that the units of all variables are consistent before solving the equation.

5. Is Bernoulli's principle applicable to all fluids?

Bernoulli's principle is applicable to all fluids, including liquids and gases. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of highly viscous or compressible fluids. In such cases, other equations or principles may need to be used to analyze the fluid flow.