Fluid dynamics problem- bernoulli?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bernoulli's equation to determine the speed at which water is supplied from a large open water tank through an output pipe connected 10 m above the water main. The equation is used to calculate the velocity at the output of the pipe, with known values such as atmospheric pressure, water density, and the fact that the water in the tank is not moving. The result is a velocity of 0.5 m/s.
fysics4fun

Homework Statement

A very large open water tank has a 50 cm diameter output pipe connected 10 m above the water main which is 6 cm in diameter. If the gauge pressure in the water main reads 9.8 E4 Pa what is the speed at which the water is supplied?

Homework Equations

I know you need Bernoulli's equation, but I can't seem to get the right answer (0.5 m/s). I had this posted in "Advanced Physics" but someone informed me that it wasn't advanced. Maybe I can get a more thorough solution here? Thank you thank you thank you.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I used the Bernoulli equation: P + \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 = constant The pressure at the output of the pipe is atmospheric pressure, P = 0. The velocity at the output is what I am trying to find, so let's call it v2. The density of water is 1000 kg/m3, so \rho = 1000 kg/m3. The velocity at the input pipe is v1 = 0, since the water is not moving in the tank. Therefore, substituting the known values into the Bernoulli equation yields: 9.8 E4 Pa + \frac{1}{2}(1000kg/m^3)v2^2 = 0 Solving for v2 gives: v2 = \sqrt{\frac{- 9.8 E4 Pa}{0.5(1000kg/m^3)}} = 0.5 m/s

1. What is the Bernoulli principle?

The Bernoulli principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy in a fluid system, where the total energy remains constant but can be converted between kinetic, potential, and internal energy.

2. How is the Bernoulli equation used in fluid dynamics?

The Bernoulli equation is a mathematical expression that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid at different points in a system. It is commonly used in fluid dynamics to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in motion, such as in pipes, pumps, and aircraft wings.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Bernoulli principle?

The Bernoulli principle has many practical applications, such as in the design of airplane wings and propellers, the operation of carburetors in cars, and the flow of air through HVAC systems. It is also used in the study of ocean currents, wind patterns, and weather systems.

4. Can the Bernoulli principle be applied to all fluids?

The Bernoulli principle can be applied to all fluids, including liquids and gases. However, it is important to note that the principle assumes an ideal fluid with no viscosity or turbulence, which may not accurately describe all real-world fluids.

5. What are some limitations of the Bernoulli principle?

While the Bernoulli principle is a useful tool in fluid dynamics, it has its limitations. It does not take into account factors such as viscosity, turbulence, and compressibility, which can significantly affect the behavior of fluids in certain situations. Additionally, the principle only applies to steady, incompressible flow and may not accurately predict the behavior of fluids in unsteady or compressible systems.