Fluid dynamics problem involving the Prandtl boundary layer equation for a two dimensional steady laminar flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Bernoulli equation for approaching a problem, but it is noted that this equation is only valid for inviscid flow and cannot account for a boundary layer. Instead, the conversation suggests using boundary layer theory in the free stream.
sakif
Homework Statement
Prove the following statement
Relevant Equations
Prandtl boundary layer equation for a two dimensional steady laminar flow of incompressible fluid over a semi infinite plate
I have tried to approach in the following way
IMG_20230120_052745.jpg

IMG_20230120_052751.jpg

I am stuck. How should I approach this next.please help

Attachments

• image__01.png
    image__01.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 88
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I see you try to use the Bernoulli equation. But that is never going to work since that equation is only valid for inviscid flow. And in an inviscid flow no boundary layer can exist.

Arjan82 said:
I see you try to use the Bernoulli equation. But that is never going to work since that equation is only valid for inviscid flow. And in an inviscid flow no boundary layer can exist.
Far from the boundary, in the free stream, it is valid to use the Bernoulli equation. That's what boundary layer theory is all about.

1. What is the Prandtl boundary layer equation?

The Prandtl boundary layer equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a thin layer of fluid near a solid surface in a flow. It takes into account the effects of viscosity and the velocity gradient in the boundary layer.

2. What is a two dimensional steady laminar flow?

A two dimensional steady laminar flow is a type of fluid flow that occurs in a flat, two-dimensional space and remains constant over time. Laminar flow means that the fluid particles move in smooth, parallel layers without mixing or turbulence.

3. How is the Prandtl boundary layer equation used in fluid dynamics?

The Prandtl boundary layer equation is used to predict the behavior of a fluid near a solid surface in a flow. It is often used in aerodynamics and hydrodynamics to calculate the drag and lift forces on objects moving through a fluid.

4. What factors affect the behavior of the Prandtl boundary layer?

The behavior of the Prandtl boundary layer is affected by several factors, including the viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the flow, the shape and roughness of the solid surface, and the temperature of the fluid. These factors can influence the thickness and speed of the boundary layer.

5. What are the assumptions made in the Prandtl boundary layer equation?

The Prandtl boundary layer equation makes several assumptions, including that the flow is two-dimensional and steady, the fluid is incompressible, and the boundary layer is laminar. It also assumes that the velocity and temperature gradients in the boundary layer are small and that the fluid properties are constant.