Solving Fluid Dynamics Questions: Pump Similarity Laws and Efficiency Comparison

In summary, the efficiency of a centrifugal pump with impeller diameter 2D is given by n = 16(Q – 10Q^2).
datf
Hi guys, please help me with these questions. I've been racking my brain for days but I'm not sure of the answers.

1) (Assume that pump similarity laws are valid and that the effects of Reynolds number (Re) are small.)
A centrifugal pump operating at speed N is combined in series with an identical centrifugal pump operating at speed 2N. The head rise across the pump operating at the lower speed is H, which is below its maximum head. Which of the following statements is/are valid?
I. Under steady state conditions, the flowrate through both pumps is identical.
II. Under steady state conditions, the head rise across the pump operating at the higher speed is 4H.a. None of the other options is valid.
b. I only.
c. II only.
d. I and II.

I'm thinking it's I and II.

2) The efficiency n of a centrifugal pump with impeller diameter D operating at a specified speed is given by n = 16(Q – 10Q^2), where Q is the volume flow rate in m^3/s. Ignoring the effects of Reynolds number, the efficiency of a homologous centrifugal pump of impeller diameter 2D is given by

a. n = 128(Q – 10Q^2)
b. n = 16(Q – 10Q^2)
c. None of the other options is valid.
d. n = 2Q – 2.5Q^2

I'm thinking it's n = 2Q – 2.5Q^2

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello datf, :welcome:

This looks a lot like homework; please read the guidelines to help us help you ! PF will help, but we're not for doing your work -- it wouldn't help you.

for the first question, if we equate the original and final head coefficient Ch1 = Ch2 --> gH1/(N^2 D^2) = gH2/((2N)^ 2 D^2) --> H2 = 4H1. but is it fine if i simply equate the two original and final head coefficient? I'm quite sure the flow rate is the same for both pumps (statement I)

for the second question, can we assume the flow coefficient Cq remains unchanged. Does homologous pump mean that the Cq would be the same too? Cause if it is true, then I can equate the original and final Cq and get Q2 = 8Q1, which will give me option d.

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, behave and interact with their surroundings. It involves understanding the flow and motion of fluids, as well as the forces that act on them.

2. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of aircraft, cars, and ships. It is also used in weather forecasting, oceanography, and the study of blood flow in the human body.

3. What are the main principles of fluid dynamics?

The main principles of fluid dynamics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles govern the behavior of fluids and are essential for understanding fluid flow.

4. How is fluid dynamics related to other branches of science?

Fluid dynamics is closely related to other branches of science, such as thermodynamics, mechanics, and electromagnetism. It also has applications in engineering, geology, and environmental science.

5. What are some common types of fluid flow?

Some common types of fluid flow include laminar flow, turbulent flow, and transitional flow. Laminar flow is smooth and orderly, while turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable. Transitional flow is a mix of both laminar and turbulent flow.