Fluid Dynamics: Pressure Field - Vector or Scalar? | Homework Question

In summary, the textbook says that Euler's equations are expressed in terms of the vector components of pressure, but the equations you posted are the components of the pressure gradient.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

This is not so much a homework problem but a question I have on the subject while studying. I have a terrible teacher who is contradicting my textbook constantly and I really want to learn this.

Is a pressure field vector or scalar? If given the velocity components, is it appropriate to get the magnitude and insert it into the Bernoulli eq to solve for the change in pressure? Which would give me a scalar answer. Or is the correct method to use Euler's eq to obtain the components of pressure changes? Which would be a vector. Or are both these methods ok?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure is a scalar; pressure gradient is a vector.
Beyond that, I am not clear on what methods you are proposing. How about you post the corresponding algebra?

haruspex said:
Pressure is a scalar; pressure gradient is a vector.
Beyond that, I am not clear on what methods you are proposing. How about you post the corresponding algebra?

Attachments

• CCI03032017.jpg
    CCI03032017.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 337
  • CCI03032017_0001.jpg
    CCI03032017_0001.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 376
I'll need more background.
State the actual problem.
Define your variables.
Identify where you are applying standard equations.

haruspex said:
I'll need more background.
State the actual problem.
Define your variables.
Identify where you are applying standard equations.
upload_2017-3-3_0-41-25.png

u and v are the x and y components of velocity.

The 1st picture is applying Euler's eq. The 2nd picture is the Bernoulli eq.

this is Euler's eq

upload_2017-3-3_0-43-50.png

Bernoulli eq
upload_2017-3-3_0-44-20.png

shreddinglicks said:

Homework Statement

This is not so much a homework problem but a question I have on the subject while studying. I have a terrible teacher who is contradicting my textbook constantly and I really want to learn this.

Is a pressure field vector or scalar?
Actually, it is neither. Pressure is the magnitude of the isotropic component of a second order tensor, we call the stress tensor. Since it is the magnitude of that component, we can regard it as a scalar. However, because of its tensorial character, it is accompanied by a certain type of directionality: for any arbitrarily oriented surface within a fluid (or at solid interface of a fluid), the pressure always acts perpendicular to the surface.

If given the velocity components, is it appropriate to get the magnitude and insert it into the Bernoulli eq to solve for the change in pressure?
Yes. You don't need the velocity components. All you need is the magnitude of the velocity vector for Bernoulli.
Which would give me a scalar answer.
Yes.
Or is the correct method to use Euler's eq to obtain the components of pressure changes? Which would be a vector.
No. Euler's eqns. are expressed in terms of the scalar magnitude of the pressure.
Or are both these methods ok?
Both methods are OK. But, Bernoulli is easier if you don't need the components of the velocity or the force components on solid boundaries.

Chestermiller said:
Actually, it is neither. Pressure is the magnitude of the isotropic component of a second order tensor, we call the stress tensor. Since it is the magnitude of that component, we can regard it as a scalar. However, because of its tensorial character, it is accompanied by a certain type of directionality: for any arbitrarily oriented surface within a fluid (or at solid interface of a fluid), the pressure always acts perpendicular to the surface.Yes. You don't need the velocity components. All you need is the magnitude of the velocity vector for Bernoulli.

Yes.

No. Euler's eqns. are expressed in terms of the scalar magnitude of the pressure.

Both methods are OK. But, Bernoulli is easier if you don't need the components of the velocity or the force components on solid boundaries.
Thanks! That was very helpful. One last question though. You say Euler's equations are expressed in terms of the scalar magnitude of pressure. My textbook says the Euler's equations I posted in post #6 are the three component equations. Isn't that the vector components in x,y,z directions?

shreddinglicks said:
Thanks! That was very helpful. One last question though. You say Euler's equations are expressed in terms of the scalar magnitude of pressure. My textbook says the Euler's equations I posted in post #6 are the three component equations. Isn't that the vector components in x,y,z directions?
As haruspex said, those are the components of the pressure gradient.

Chestermiller said:
As haruspex said, those are the components of the pressure gradient.
Thanks again! I finally understand. Time for me to study some more.

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the movement and behavior of fluids, such as liquids and gases, and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics?

Some common applications of fluid dynamics include weather prediction, aerodynamics in aviation and engineering, ocean currents, and blood flow in the human body.

3. How does fluid viscosity affect fluid dynamics?

Viscosity, or the thickness of a fluid, affects how easily it flows and its resistance to deformation. This can impact the speed and direction of fluid flow, as well as the formation of turbulence.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth, orderly flow of fluid in a straight line, while turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable with small eddies and fluctuations. The transition from laminar to turbulent flow is dependent on factors such as flow rate and viscosity.

5. How is fluid dynamics used in engineering and design?

Fluid dynamics is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps predict and optimize the behavior of fluids in various systems and structures. This includes designing efficient airfoils for airplanes, optimizing water flow in pipes, and creating more aerodynamic cars.