Fluid Dynamics Homework: Solving for Velocity Components at Stagnation Point"

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the u and v components of velocity at a stagnation point, where both u and v equal 0. The person tried various methods involving the velocity magnitude and setting y equal to 0, but had too many variables. The other person asks for the overall stream function and equations for the velocity components, which can be obtained without using the stream function. The first person figured it out on their own and thanks the other for their reply.
shreddinglicks

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-7_14-49-45.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-3-7_14-50-21.png

upload_2017-3-7_14-50-46.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a few different things, they all involve finding u and v components of velocity. I know the stagnation point is at y = 0. I also know that at stagnation u = v = 0.

If I get the velocity magnitude and set it equal to 0 and set y equal to 0, I still have too many variables to solve for anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your equation for the overall stream function? What are your equations for the components of the velocity (which are very easy to obtain without using the stream function)?

I did manage to figure it out on my own last night. Thanks for the reply.

1. What is fluid dynamics and why is it important?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the motion of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act upon them. It is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various scenarios, such as in engineering, weather patterns, and ocean currents.

2. What is the stagnation point in fluid dynamics?

The stagnation point is the point at which the velocity of a fluid is zero. It occurs when the flow of the fluid is brought to a sudden stop, usually due to an obstacle or a change in direction.

3. How do you solve for velocity components at the stagnation point?

To solve for velocity components at the stagnation point, we use the Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant throughout the flow. By setting the velocity at the stagnation point to zero, we can solve for the velocity components in terms of pressure and density.

4. What are some common applications of solving for velocity components at the stagnation point?

Solving for velocity components at the stagnation point has many practical applications, such as in aerodynamics for designing aircrafts and in hydraulics for designing pipes and pumps. It is also used in meteorology to predict weather patterns and in oceanography to understand ocean currents.

5. What are some challenges in solving for velocity components at the stagnation point?

One of the main challenges in solving for velocity components at the stagnation point is accurately measuring the pressure and density of the fluid. Additionally, the equations used to solve for these components can be complex and require advanced mathematical skills. Another challenge is accounting for external factors, such as turbulence and viscosity, which can affect the accuracy of the calculations.