1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics Questions

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    I am trying to solve for the temperature/pressure profiles of a small closed-end (one side) tube inside a pressurized container kept at constant temp./pressure. For now, I am assuming that vacuum conditions exist within the tube. I am not sure, however, which equations I should be using.

Initially I reasoned as follows: For molecules just entering the tube opening (at t=0) I would have to use effusion rates to calculate P(t) existing at the opening; and then, afterwards, plug this into Poiseuille's equation to get a picture of overall pressure buildup over time. Is this correct? Do I need to work with effusion rates, or, is there some other, more correct, (or, better) way to solve this?

Also, I am aware that the effusion equation only applies to conditions where the area of the hole is smaller in scale to the mean free paths of gaseous molecules. The scenario I am working with calls for a tube diameter within mm range (length is ~ meter range) at pressures above atm (2-3) and temperatures above 100 C. I believe that the equation no longer apllies. Is this correct? Are there any alternatives?

Finally, I have solved the differential eqn. for effusion into a vacuum, but I believe that my answer is incorrect because I assumed temperature remains constant. Can I make this assumption? If not, how do I rectify my diff. eqn? ( dP/dt = kT/V dN/dt, where dN/dt =
    (Po -P(t))A / sqrt(2piMRT) Po = pressure of container, k = Boltzman's constant M = molecular mass, A = area)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted