Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fluid Dynamics: quickest way to pour water out of a bottle

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1
    I am doing a 4000 word essay on the quickest way to pour water out of a bottle and i need some help with the theory and formulas etc. Ive tried looking but this experiment isnt well documented so any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2
    Well, from experience, the strawpedo works pretty well. If you stick a bendy straw in the bottle, it will come out a lot faster.

I think this is because it equalises pressure in the bottle. Otherwise, there is a lower pressure which causes the water to slow down.

Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    The "how" answer is to swirl the bottle so that a vortex forms a funnel allowing air up to the bottom of the bottle. When I have seen it demonstrated, in the lecture that you may have missed, it was done with two perrier bottles, I am not sure that was to maximise the effectiveness of the demonstration but it was very noticible that the "swirled" bottle emptied quickest.

5. Aug 31, 2005 #4
    im aware at botht but i wanted to focus on it without using extra apparatus etc to look at angles and relationships between neck sizes

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook