1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics: quickest way to pour water out of a bottle

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1
    I am doing a 4000 word essay on the quickest way to pour water out of a bottle and i need some help with the theory and formulas etc. Ive tried looking but this experiment isnt well documented so any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2
    Well, from experience, the strawpedo works pretty well. If you stick a bendy straw in the bottle, it will come out a lot faster.

I think this is because it equalises pressure in the bottle. Otherwise, there is a lower pressure which causes the water to slow down.

Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    The "how" answer is to swirl the bottle so that a vortex forms a funnel allowing air up to the bottom of the bottle. When I have seen it demonstrated, in the lecture that you may have missed, it was done with two perrier bottles, I am not sure that was to maximise the effectiveness of the demonstration but it was very noticible that the "swirled" bottle emptied quickest.

5. Aug 31, 2005 #4
    im aware at botht but i wanted to focus on it without using extra apparatus etc to look at angles and relationships between neck sizes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?