Optimizing Water Flow in a Vertical Pipe: Calculating Pressure and Speed

In summary: The other side is applied to the bottom of the pipe (where the pressure is 0), and the pressure at the top is supposed to equal the pressure at the bottom (according to the equation). However, since the water is flowing at a constant velocity, the pressure at the top must also be constant (according to the equation of continuity). So applying Bernoulli's equation to two ends of the pipe would not produce the correct result.
Gear300
Through a pipe 15.0cm in diameter, water is pumped from the Colorado River up to Grand Canyon Village, located on the rim of the canyon. The river is at an elevation of 564m, and the village is at an elevation of 2096m (a) What is the minimum pressure at which the water must be pumped if it is to arrive at the village? (b) If 4500m^3 are pumped per day, what is the speed of the water in the pipe? (c) What additional pressure is necessary to deliver this flow?

(Assume that the freefall acceleration and the density of air are constant over this range of elevations).

I can get (a) and (b) easily. For (a) the minimum pressure would be 1atm + the pressure necessary to balance the weight of the water in the pipe. For (b), one can use the equation of continuity to find the speed. (c) is what gets me. I'm supposing its asking the question in respect to (b)...but isn't the rate of volume flow and speed explicitly independent of the pressure: (PV)/t = p[power] = Fv, P*(V/t) = Fv, P*(V/t)/v = F, P*A = F, P = F/A...so then the speed and volume flow can be a varying value under the same pressure. How would I interpret what (c) is asking?
The answer to (a) is ~1atm + 15.0MPa, (b) is ~2.95m/s, and (c) is 4.34kPa

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gear300,

From the equations of fluid flow, we can know two things: the speed is related to the volume flow rate (that's how the equation of continuity is set up), and the speed is related to the pressures (from Bernoulli's equation). So from part b, you used the term from the equation of continuity to go from volume flow rate to speed; for c you can use Bernoulli's equation to go from speed to pressure.

For your argument, let me accept the equations as they are and just talk about your chain of reasoning. I don't think your equations lead to the conclusion you gave. I believe your final equation is indicating that the ratio of pressure to force is independent of any particular value of speed you might have. In other words, if the area is constant, then the ratio of P/F is a constant (equal to 1/A), no matter what else is going on in the problem. That does not mean, however, that the particular value of P is independent of whatever else is in the problem.

So if v=20m/s, that gives one value of P, and P=F/A; if v=30m/s, that gives another value of P, but P still equals F/A (it's just a different F).

Hello alphysicist. I see, I see...I forgot to take into account the values for force...and in Bernoulli's equation there is a particular relation between pressure and speed (and it even explicitly shows it...funny how I overlooked that). Thanks for the help.

Wait...I just took a whack at the problem. I'm still stuck. Since the pipe is taken to have a constant diameter, then the speed of the water should be constant throughout the pipe.
Po + K/V + Uo/V = Pf + K/V + Uf/V, in which K is kinetic energy, U is gravitational potential, Po is pressure applied at bottom and Pf is pressure at top (atmospheric pressure). At the bottom, there is a pressure Po and U can be taken to be 0...so
Po + K/V = Pf + K/V + U/V, and since the velocity is constant, Po = Pf + U/V. The value for Po here apparently comes out to the same value as the one for part (a)...which would imply 0Pa of additional pressure (which contradicts the given answer). Any help?

Gear300 said:
Wait...I just took a whack at the problem. I'm still stuck. Since the pipe is taken to have a constant diameter, then the speed of the water should be constant throughout the pipe.
Po + K/V + Uo/V = Pf + K/V + Uf/V, in which K is kinetic energy, U is gravitational potential, Po is pressure applied at bottom and Pf is pressure at top (atmospheric pressure). At the bottom, there is a pressure Po and U can be taken to be 0...so
Po + K/V = Pf + K/V + U/V, and since the velocity is constant, Po = Pf + U/V. The value for Po here apparently comes out to the same value as the one for part (a)...which would imply 0Pa of additional pressure (which contradicts the given answer). Any help?

Right, that's a bit tricky to work through. But the way I'm reading the problem, we are not supposed to apply Bernoulli's equation to two ends of the pipe.

One side of Bernoulli's equation is applied to the river water, and the other side of the equation is applied to the top of the pipe. Then the initial velocity would be zero.

So the idea is, for part b, we were asking what pressure (work per volume) is required to give a certain potential energy per volume to the water. And for part c, we are asking what additional pressure is required to give a certain additional kinetic energy/volume to the water.

Does that make sense?

alphysicist said:
Right, that's a bit tricky to work through. But the way I'm reading the problem, we are not supposed to apply Bernoulli's equation to two ends of the pipe.

One side of Bernoulli's equation is applied to the river water, and the other side of the equation is applied to the top of the pipe. Then the initial velocity would be zero.

So the idea is, for part b, we were asking what pressure (work per volume) is required to give a certain potential energy per volume to the water. And for part c, we are asking what additional pressure is required to give a certain additional kinetic energy/volume to the water.

Does that make sense?

Oh...I understand now...the pressure needed to give the water the boost in speed. Its been solved at last...thanks for all the help.

1. What is fluid dynamics and how does it apply to water pipes?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with their surroundings. It applies to water pipes because the flow of water through the pipes is governed by the principles of fluid dynamics, such as pressure, velocity, and viscosity.

2. How does the diameter of a water pipe affect the flow of water?

The diameter of a water pipe has a significant impact on the flow of water. As the diameter increases, the flow rate also increases. This is because a larger pipe has more space for water to flow through, reducing friction and increasing the velocity of the water.

3. What is the role of turbulence in fluid dynamics and water pipes?

Turbulence is the chaotic, irregular motion of fluids. In water pipes, turbulence can occur when the flow rate is high, causing the water to swirl and mix. This can increase the pressure and energy loss in the pipe, which can be problematic for the overall efficiency of the system.

4. How does the viscosity of water affect the flow through a pipe?

The viscosity of water, or its resistance to flow, plays a significant role in the flow through a pipe. Higher viscosity means the water will flow more slowly and have more resistance to flow, while lower viscosity means the water will flow more quickly with less resistance. This can impact the efficiency and performance of the pipe system.

5. What are some factors that can affect the flow through a water pipe?

There are several factors that can affect the flow through a water pipe, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the pressure and velocity of the water, the presence of obstructions or bends in the pipe, and the viscosity of the water. Other external factors such as temperature and altitude can also impact the flow.