How Fast Does Water Exit a Hole in a Tank?

In summary, the water leaves the hole at a speed of 2.50 x 10^-3 m^3/min and the diameter of the hole is 16.0m.
Gear300
Heh...this question actually looks as simple as hell (and it probably is)...but there always seems to be one variable missing:

A large storage tank, open at the top and filled with water, develops a small hole in its side at a point 16.0m below the water level. if the rate of flow from the leak is equal to 2.50 x 10^-3 m^3/min, determine (a) the speed at which the water leaves the hole and (b) the diameter of the hole.

I'm assuming that the storage tank is much bigger than the area of the hole, so the velocity of the water at the top is negligible...and the pressure there could be taken as atmospheric pressure (its open at the top). I could then use Bernoulli's equation but I seem to be missing the pressure at the point of leakage and I don't think that Pascal's equation would work due to the fluid retaining a velocity at that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gear300,

Gear300 said:
Heh...this question actually looks as simple as hell (and it probably is)...but there always seems to be one variable missing:

A large storage tank, open at the top and filled with water, develops a small hole in its side at a point 16.0m below the water level. if the rate of flow from the leak is equal to 2.50 x 10^-3 m^3/min, determine (a) the speed at which the water leaves the hole and (b) the diameter of the hole.

I'm assuming that the storage tank is much bigger than the area of the hole, so the velocity of the water at the top is negligible...and the pressure there could be taken as atmospheric pressure (its open at the top). I could then use Bernoulli's equation but I seem to be missing the pressure at the point of leakage and I don't think that Pascal's equation would work due to the fluid retaining a velocity at that point.

When the fluid stream is actually touching the atmosphere, it will have atmospheric pressure.

O_O...oh...well that's something...its a hole after all...heh, thanks for the help.

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as water, move and interact with their surroundings. It involves understanding the forces and pressures that affect the motion of fluids.

2. How is water speed calculated in fluid dynamics?

Water speed is calculated by using the equation: v = Q/A, where v is the water velocity, Q is the volume of water flowing per unit time, and A is the area of the cross-section of the water flow.

3. What factors affect water speed in fluid dynamics?

Several factors can affect water speed in fluid dynamics, including the shape and size of the object moving through the water, the viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of other objects or obstacles in the water flow.

4. How does fluid density impact water speed?

The density of a fluid, such as water, affects its speed by determining how much force is needed to move it. In general, denser fluids require more force to move, resulting in slower speeds.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics and water speed?

Fluid dynamics and water speed have many practical applications, such as in designing efficient water transportation systems, understanding weather patterns, and developing turbines for renewable energy. They are also important in fields like aerospace engineering, oceanography, and chemical processing.