1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid dynamics

1. Jan 26, 2006 #1
    The velocity of the water that comes out of the opening in the attached diagram can be found using Bernoulli equation, as

v = sqrt (2gh)

Once the water exits the hole, I am not sure how to answer questions like the following: Can I use conservation of energy and momentum. Also can I use the equations in kinematics (ie. S = ut + 1/2 a t^2, v=u+at,...)

1. Time for the water to hit the ground,
    2. What is the value of H
    3. What is the horizontal distance of flight of water
    4. What is the acceleration ( acce. of gravity??)

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2
    Usually the kinematic equations are all you need assuming you know the initial geometry of the set up. I see no picture, so I can't tell.
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Yes the pic did not show up. It is there now. Sorry.
  5. Jan 26, 2006 #4
    How about conservation of energy and momentum? I can cosider a mass of water that exits the hole per unit time as 'm' and write the conservation lows. Is seems ok to do that.

edit: May be momentum is not conserved in the vertical direction due to the force of gravity.?
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  6. Jan 26, 2006 #5
    You could use conservation laws also, I presume
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?