1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics

1. May 16, 2007 #1
    I am having a huge problem with understanding the derivation of velocity profiles for these type of problems. The one i am having the most difficulty is the flow of oil going down vertically along the surface of a glass rod. Where p=900 kg/m^3 and u=120 mPa's. How do I start this problem?
    Last edited: May 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2007 #2
    here is the key

Start by writing Navier-stokes equations in cylindrical coordinates.And make reasonable assumptions to simplify the equations. Like, 1 The flow is steady and two dimensional in r-z plane. Here z is the coordinate pointing downwards.You can also chose it to be pointing upwards. In both cases you should pay attention to the signs in the equations. 2 The flow is driven by gravational forces. 3 The shear forces on interface of oil and air are negligible. 4 The flow is in only z direction. Thus the r and θ velocities component go to zero.
    Now you need to do some integrations. Im leaving the rest to you...
    Good luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?