1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid dynamics

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Starting from the equations of conservation of mass and momentum for an inviscid compressible gas,
    [tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \bigtriangledown . (\rho {\bf u}) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\rho ( \frac{\partial {\bf u}}{\partial t} + ({\bf u}. \bigtriangledown){\bf u}) = \bigtriangledown p + {\bf F}[/tex]

derive for a fixed volume V enclosed by a surface S:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \int_V \frac{1}{2} \rho u^2 dV + \int_S \frac{1}{2} \rho u^2 {\bf u.n} dA = - \int_S p {\bf u.n} dA + \int_V (p\bigtriangledown. {\bf u} + {\bf F.u}) dV[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Divergence theorem:

[tex]\int_V \bigtriangledown . {\bf u} dV = \int_S {\bf u.n} dA[/tex]
    where A is the surface enclosing V

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started from the first equation, multiplied this through by [tex]\frac{u^2}{2}[/tex], applied the divergence theorem and looked at what the full derivative given in the question is in terms of the chain rule, and ended up with

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \int_V \frac{1}{2} \rho u^2 dV + \int_S \frac{1}{2} \rho u^2{\bf u.n} dA = \int_V \rho {\bf u} . \frac{\partial {\bf u}}{\partial t} dV[/tex]

Which looks like it might be right. However I am a bit wary though because I don't know if I should be considering the del operator acting on the [tex]\frac{u^2}{2}[/tex] that I multiplied through by. Anyway, assuming this is right (I have the alternative expression if it's not, and that also looks like it could be right) I tried to proceed by dotting the second fluid equation with [tex]{\bf u}[/tex], and things were looking quite promising but it didn't quite come out. I seemed to be having particular trouble with the [tex]p \bigtriangledown.{\bf u}[/tex] term.

Am I going along the right lines here? Any hints on how I can finish this off?

Thanks.

Edit - Sorry about my lack of vectors, I can't seem to find a command that works on this forum. u and n are vectors through, and u^2 = u.u Also, I guess I should have mentioned (although the question doesn't actually specifiy) that rho, u and p are function sof position and time.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?