1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid dynamics

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A swimming pool is filled with water. It is 2.50 m tall and 3.00 m in diameter. There is a small 1.00 cm (in diameter) hole in the side of the pool and its 0.50 m below the top. How far from the pool will the water coming out of the hole land?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's my attempt using Torricelli's theorem, however I need to use Bernoulli's equation any help is appreciated.

Vx = Sqrt 2g(2.50 - 1.00)
    Vx = 5.42 m/s This is the horizontal velocity.

t= sqrt 2h/g = .20 seconds = time water is in air

x = t x Vx

x = 1.11 meters ????
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    Well, do you know what Bernoulli's equation is?

If you know that, then so you basically just need to find the pressure at the level where the hole is, then set that equal to dynamic pressure and solve for the velocity value, which should all be in the x direction.
  4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    I'm really having trouble imagining a swimming pool (2.5 m tall) with a hole and water leaking out of the side of this swimming pool and landing somewhere. It's like watching a movie - you need to suspend your disbelief :grumpy: :mad:

Sorry, don't mind me - please go ahead and solve the problem.
  5. Nov 22, 2008 #4
    just check the attached doc for the answer method.

Attached Files:

6. Nov 22, 2008 #5

The pool is standing above ground. Maybe imagine it as just a giant water tank/cylinder?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?