1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid dynamics

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine a hydraulically operated dentist's chair having a mass of 190.0 kg and in it is sitting a 52.8 kg patient. The large piston beneath the chair has a diameter of 5.00 cm, whereas the small piston, moved by a pedal on which the dentist steps, has a diameter of 1.00 cm. What is the pressure in the interconnecting fluid when the dentist operates the chair?
    the answer is in Mpa

2. Relevant equations

F=PA

3. The attempt at a solution

so there was another question right below this that asked for how much force he must exert on the smaller piston, so using F=PA i found P to equal 121.24 then i used that number with the area of the smaller piston and found the F of the smaller pistion to be 95.17N. So i assume the pressure must be right, but i dont get what the first question is asking for because although it is labeled in Mpa the answer is still wrong.

(finding pressure)
    190 + 52.8 = 242.8

242.8 * 9.8 = 2389.44

2389.44= (P)(A=(pie)(2.5squared))

2389.44=(P)(19.625)

P=121.24

(finding second answer)
    F=(121.24)(A=(pie)(.5squared))

F=(121.24)(.785)

F=95.17

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?