Hardy-Cross Method Problem: Physically Impossible Design?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a pipe network problem given by a professor, to be solved using the Hardy-Cross method. The individual attempted to create a scale drawing of the figure but realized it was physically impossible. They are now questioning if this means the problem is unsolvable. They offer to share the problem statement with dimensions if needed. Finally, they apologize for their lack of computer skills and mention starting a new thread to share the diagram.
tynea

Homework Statement

A professor gave a pipe network problem to be solved by the Hardy-Cross method. However when I attempted to create a scale drawing of the figure to get a better idea of the problem I realized it is physically impossible to create his design. Now i am wondering if because of this if the problem is unsolvable? If anyone interested needs to see the network with dimensions I could take a pic of the problem statement and post it if that would be the easiest way. I am completely new to this site and this is my second post. Thank you any and all for any guidance. Tynea

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
tynea said:

Homework Statement

A professor gave a pipe network problem to be solved by the Hardy-Cross method. However when I attempted to create a scale drawing of the figure to get a better idea of the problem I realized it is physically impossible to create his design. Now i am wondering if because of this if the problem is unsolvable? If anyone interested needs to see the network with dimensions I could take a pic of the problem statement and post it if that would be the easiest way. I am completely new to this site and this is my second post. Thank you any and all for any guidance. Tynea

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to the PF.

Your first post was deleted as being mostly empty. Did you mean to attach the diagram to this thread?

Thank you Berkeman,

I'll start a new thread calling it fluid dynamics 2 and I will post the pic of the assignment i thought i had added the pic to my current post but I must be mistaken. sorry i am not very computer savvy.
Tynea

1. What is the Hardy-Cross Method and how does it relate to physically impossible design?

The Hardy-Cross Method is a mathematical technique used to analyze and solve problems related to the flow of fluids in a network of pipes. It is commonly used in civil engineering and hydraulics. Physically impossible design refers to a situation where the calculated solutions from the Hardy-Cross Method do not meet the physical constraints or limitations of a system, making the design unfeasible.

2. What are some examples of physically impossible design in the context of the Hardy-Cross Method?

Some examples of physically impossible design in this context could include a pipe network with negative flow rates, a pipe with a negative diameter, or a pipe with a negative elevation difference between two nodes.

3. How can one identify and prevent physically impossible design when using the Hardy-Cross Method?

One way to identify physically impossible design is to check the calculated flow rates, pipe diameters, and elevations for any negative values. To prevent physically impossible design, one can adjust the initial assumptions used in the method, such as the direction of flow in a pipe or the roughness coefficient, or use additional constraints to limit the range of possible solutions.

4. What are some limitations of the Hardy-Cross Method in preventing physically impossible design?

The Hardy-Cross Method assumes a steady-state flow and does not account for transient conditions or changes in flow rates over time. It also does not consider the effect of turbulence or other factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculations. Additionally, the method may not be suitable for complex networks with multiple loops and branches.

5. Are there any alternative methods or techniques for solving problems with physically impossible design?

Yes, there are other methods and techniques that can be used to solve problems with physically impossible design, such as the Linear Programming method or computer simulations. These methods may provide more accurate and efficient solutions, but they also require more advanced knowledge and resources. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and limitations of a problem before choosing a method to solve it.