Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics

1. May 24, 2013 #1
    Hello, is there anyone who can help me with this? Im completely stumped. Here is the situation:

Point A: Water is flowing into a valve at 559 (mbar) of pressure and into a cylinder thats 12 mm long and 7mm in diameter.

Point B: It then will enter another cylinder that is 40 mm long 10 mm in diameter.

Point C: At this point it will enter another cylinder 5mm long and 7mm in diameter.

Im trying to figure out what the pressure will be at Point C so that I can choose the correct umbrella valve to use so that water flows out of the chamber.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2013 #2
    Many... :smile:

If all the points : A,B and C lie in the same streamline, you can apply "Bernoulli's Theorem", at A,B and C respectively.

Best of luck buddy !! :)

4. May 24, 2013 #3
    Thanks!! Does this apply also if I change the shape of the chamber? Meaning, instead of a cylinder its an oval? Im young and inexperienced lol

5. May 25, 2013 #4
    Provided that when the shape of chamber is changed, that is A,B and C are ovals, then also you can apply Bernoulli's Theorem, if A,B and C lie in a same streamline.

And So am I. :tongue:

6. May 26, 2013 #5
    If the flow is incrompressible and also irrotational then you can apply Bernulli's theorem between any points in the flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook