Exploring Advective Acceleration in Fluid Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of advective acceleration in fluid mechanics and how it differs from undergraduate mechanics. The equation for the rate of change of velocity in a fluid is given, and it is noted that this equation assumes a continuum body and cannot be taken down to the molecular level. The conversation also addresses which types of forces are included in the effective force density and how this equation fits into the overall equation of motion for fluids. Overall, the conversation highlights the differences between undergraduate mechanics and fluid mechanics and suggests that the best way to understand the concepts in fluid mechanics is to work through problems.
aaaa202
I am just starting on this subject and I am trying to get a feeling for the concepts. One thing that confuses me a lot is the idea of an advective acceleration. We have that the rate of change of the velocity in a fluid is given by the material time derivative:

Dv/Dt = ∂v/∂t + (v)v

Now in undergraduate mechanics an expression like this did not exist. You had a body subjected to some forces and could then calculate acceleration, velocity and position from that using Newtons 2nd law.
You can still use Newtons 2nd law for the above equation if you identify the material time derivative of v with the acceleration and equate this to a force density. But is this valid to assume and to what body exactly do you apply Newtons 2nd law? It is certainly not each particle in the fluid since this is subject to all kinds of fluctuations.
Also which type of forces are included in the effective force density? For example if you have a fluid flowing through a pipe and the cross-section becomes smaller, then the fluid will accelerate, i.e. there is an effective force acting on it. Is this force contained in the above equation?
For me this is all very confusing, since I am only used to undergraduate mechanics, where you have given that some force acts on a body and start from there. What do you know from the start in problems with fluid mechanics?

I hope you understand my confusion.. It seems there is a big step to fluid mechanics from undergraduate mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
I am just starting on this subject and I am trying to get a feeling for the concepts. One thing that confuses me a lot is the idea of an advective acceleration. We have that the rate of change of the velocity in a fluid is given by the material time derivative:

Dv/Dt = ∂v/∂t + (v)v

Now in undergraduate mechanics an expression like this did not exist. You had a body subjected to some forces and could then calculate acceleration, velocity and position from that using Newtons 2nd law.
You can still use Newtons 2nd law for the above equation if you identify the material time derivative of v with the acceleration and equate this to a force density. But is this valid to assume and to what body exactly do you apply Newtons 2nd law? It is certainly not each particle in the fluid since this is subject to all kinds of fluctuations.
This equation assumes that the body is a continuum, so you can't take it down to the molecular level (since, as you note, you would have to consider fluctuations). But, it works down to the "small fluid parcel" level. Of course, you couldn't take a "rigid body" dv/dt all the way down to the molecular level either, and still use dv/dt of the rigid body to describe the kinematics of the individual molecules.
Also which type of forces are included in the effective force density? For example if you have a fluid flowing through a pipe and the cross-section becomes smaller, then the fluid will accelerate, i.e. there is an effective force acting on it. Is this force contained in the above equation?
There are two sides to the equation ma = Fnet. The above equation describes the left side of this equation. The right side of this equation for a fluid includes the effects of pressure forces, gravitational forces, and viscous stresses.
For me this is all very confusing, since I am only used to undergraduate mechanics, where you have given that some force acts on a body and start from there. What do you know from the start in problems with fluid mechanics?
The best way to answer this question is to work some problems in fluid mechanics and see how it all plays out.

Chet

1. What is advective acceleration in fluid mechanics?

Advective acceleration in fluid mechanics is a term used to describe the change in velocity of a fluid particle as it moves through a flow field. It takes into account the fluid's velocity and the rate of change in velocity as it moves through the flow field.

2. How does advective acceleration affect fluid flow?

Advective acceleration plays a crucial role in fluid flow as it is responsible for the generation of vortices and turbulence in the flow. It also affects the overall movement and mixing of the fluid particles within the flow field.

3. What factors influence advective acceleration?

Advective acceleration is influenced by various factors such as fluid viscosity, velocity, and density. It is also affected by the geometry of the flow field and any external forces acting on the fluid.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying advective acceleration?

The study of advective acceleration is important in various fields such as aerodynamics, oceanography, and meteorology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in different environments, which is essential for designing efficient systems and processes.

5. How is advective acceleration calculated?

Advective acceleration can be calculated using the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of equations that govern fluid flow. It can also be estimated experimentally using techniques such as flow visualization and particle tracking.