1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    A steady two-dimensional flow (pure straining) is given by u = kx, v = -ky, for k constant.
    (i) Find the equation for a general streamline of the flow, and sketch some of them.
    (ii) At t = 0,the fluid on the curve x^2 = y^2 = a^2 is marked (by an electro-chemical technique). Find the equation for this material fluid cuve for t > 0.
    For part (i), I used that the partial derivative of x with respect to s is kx, and that of y with respect to s is -ky. So integrating these, and using the initial condition x = xo, y = yo at s = i, I found that
    ln x = ks + ln xo, and ln y = ln yo - ks.
    But I don't understand what part (ii) of the question is asking. What equation does it mean for me to find? I know I could write x^2 + y^2 as (u/k)^2 + (v/k)^2, but I'm not sure that helps atall.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are we to assume that u and v are the components of velocity in the x and y directions respectively? If so then you have the two equations
    dx/dt= kx and dy/dt= -ky which can be solved easily for x and y as functions of t. When you are drawing the streamlines, t is irrelevant- you want to eleminate t in the two equations, which is simple.
    Did you mean x^2+ y^2= a^2, a circle?
    What is s?? I would have thought x and y were functions of time, t. And since they are functions of a single variable, whether called s or t, you don't need partial derivatives. s= i?? You seem to mean s= 0.
    Yes, your equations for ln x and ln y are correct. Now solve for x and y!
    The points are on a circle. You could think of each point as an initial value (the xo, yo you have above) and get the position of each point as a function of time. Once you have solved for x and y in (i) and eliminated t to get y as a function of x, remember that (yo)^2+ (x0)^2= a^2 and then see if you can write the function with a rather than x0 or y0.
  4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your reply to my question. I apologise for the typing errors.
    - yes, u and v are the components of velocity in the x and y direction respectively
    - I had intended to type x^2+ y^2= a^2, and also later that s = 0
    s is a variable we used in lectures, although it was never defined, and so has confused me. I think I imagined it as the distance from the starting point, almost like curve length.
    I'll work on the second part of the question with your suggestion later, and see what I can come up with!
    Thanks again, Steph
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?