1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid flow problem

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cylindrical bucket, open at the top, is 30.0 cm high and 14.0 cm in diameter. A circular hole with a cross-sectional area 1.72 cm^2 is cut in the center of the bottom of the bucket. Water flows into the bucket from a tube above it at the rate of 2.00×10^−4 m^3/s ...the question is how high will the water rise??

2. Relevant equations
    A v = A v

q=v/t

3. The attempt at a solution

well so far i know that Av = 2*10^-4

but i am not sure how to approach this problem. do i use Bernoullis principle but how

this is my working out

2*10^-4=1.72*10^-4 *v

v=1.163m/s

help me here cheers

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2
    oops the question is how high will the water rise??

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The rate at which water exits the hole is a function of the height of water in the bucket. The water level will rise until the rate of water running out of the hole exactly equals the rate at which water is being poured into the top. Do you have a relationship for volume/sec exiting a hole related to the water pressure above the hole?

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4
    yes it is 2*10^-4 m^3/sec

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook