Calculating Pressure Drop and Hole Size in a Pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining the size of a hole in a pipe and the volume of water lost due to a pressure drop. There is no unique solution and assumptions must be made in order to calculate the size of the hole. The conversation also includes sample calculations and a clarification of the hydraulic head concept.
ramisaeed
Hello everyone,

I got a question that has been bugging me for quite a while and i can't seem to find the answer for it, and here it is...

If we have a pipe let's say 20" in diameter, with a flow rate of 1 m^3/sec at a pressure of 10 psi, and we get a pressure drop of 9 psi, is it possible to know the size of the hole in the pipe that is causing this pressure drop? and what is the volume of water that is being lost from said hole?

Thanks for the help...

Physics news on Phys.org
I lost you...where is the hole again? along the stream and part of the flow? on the side of the pipe?

Along side the pipe (let's say a pipeline rupture)... I would like to know if there is a way to determine the size of that hole that would cause a reduction of 1 psi in pressure, and what is the rate of water that would come out from that hole...

yeah, sorry for not being clear in the first place, and if I am still not let me know...

Thanks

I believe you can only determine the amount of water leaked, not the size of the hole. There are one too many degrees of freedom, because a smaller hole could leak the same amount of water if it emerged at a higher speed.

Try using Bernoulli's principle across a section of leaking pipe, the pressure difference will give you the velocity difference which, assuming the pipe is a constant cross section, give you the volume lost, but nothing more.

i think is do-able, but there is no unique solution...you may have to assume something and determine the rest...

for example, let's say that you have a run of 10 feet of that pipe and you know that there is a pressure loss of 10 psi...then you know you have a loss of 1psi per feet...

if you now have only a 9 psi loss ...you could start by assuming that you have a leak right in the middle of the run and then firgure out how much water leakage you need...knowing that the pressure loss up to the leak (half way) you already had 5 psi loss, etc...see what I am going?

Hmm, sorry but i don't quite get it...

Assuming that the pipe from beginning to end has a constant 10 psi, and a drop to 9 psi signify a leak some where.

If there is a pressure drop that means the leak is causing the water to go out of the pipe, can we determine the amount that is being lost due to the pressure drop? not to mention the size of the hole that is needed to cause the loss of 1 psi from 10 to 9...

just bare with me, thanks...

I've answered both these question. You can measure the amount that is lost but not the size of the hole.

Here are some calculations, showing what is required to determine hole size (d3)

Treating the problem as the pressure drop across a y junction with the hole as one leg discharging to atmosphere and ignoring friction. If significant lengths of pipe are involved then then the pipe friction coefficient and lengths need also be known.

Attachments

• burstpipe1.jpg
    burstpipe1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 483
Thank you MikeyW & Studiot, i guess things are a bit clearer than where i was in the beginning...

Okay, so i followed the equations that you proved me (Thanks for that),however there are somethings that just doesn't sit right with me, and as you can see here it is...

The flow rate for the pressure 2 is much higher than that of pressure 2

And diameter 3 is quite large for it to cause a drop of 1 bar...

Thanks for the comments & help thus far...

Attachments

• Pipeline Leak Calculator.xls
    24 KB · Views: 305
Perhaps you should check your spreadsheet setup?
Remember head is measured in metres, feet or whatever.

Here is a realistic sample calculation an engineer looking for a hole in 300 feet of six inch supply pipe out in the Rockies might make. He wouldn't need a spreadsheet and could even do without a calculator (though they make it a bit easier).

Of course the water speed out of the (small) hole will be much faster than the main flow speed.

If you adjust your spreadsheet to follow this through you might be able to do what if simulations when you don't know the overall flow rate.

go well

Attachments

• burstpipe2.jpg
    burstpipe2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 491
Thanks, can't believe i over looked the fact that the pressure was in units not relevant to the rest...

BTW, how did you calculate the head?

YAY!, it worked, Thanks a lot for all your help, and sorry for the trouble...

The hydraulic head is used by -yes - hydraulic engineers - and is simply the height above some datum level. Since this is a water engineering question I thought it appropriate.

In this case I have taken atmospheric pressure as datum. Atmospheric pressure = 32 feet.

go well

1. What is fluid flow rate dynamics?

Fluid flow rate dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as water or air, move and change over time in a given system or environment. It involves understanding the factors that affect the rate and direction of fluid flow, such as pressure, viscosity, and velocity.

2. Why is fluid flow rate dynamics important?

Fluid flow rate dynamics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as in pipes, pumps, and engines. This knowledge is crucial for engineers and scientists in designing and optimizing these systems for efficiency and safety.

3. What are the different types of fluid flow?

There are two main types of fluid flow: laminar flow and turbulent flow. Laminar flow is smooth and orderly, with layers of fluid moving parallel to each other. Turbulent flow is chaotic and irregular, with fluid particles moving in random directions and mixing together.

4. How is fluid flow rate calculated?

The rate of fluid flow can be calculated using the equation Q = A * v, where Q is the volumetric flow rate (m^3/s), A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel (m^2), and v is the fluid velocity (m/s). This equation is based on the principle of continuity, which states that the volume of fluid entering a system must be equal to the volume leaving the system.

5. What factors affect fluid flow rate dynamics?

Several factors can affect fluid flow rate dynamics, including the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density), the geometry of the system (such as the shape and size of pipes), and external forces (such as gravity and pressure differentials). Temperature, surface roughness, and the presence of obstacles or boundaries can also impact fluid flow rate dynamics.